Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any examples of 'ultra' quality?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
TalonOne
694 Views, 8 Replies

Any examples of 'ultra' quality?

Hi Guys,

I'm debating purchasing a Recap360 subscription but before I do I have some reservations with the texture quality I'm likely to get.  Right now the preview mode really isn't producing what I'd consider good quality textures... Which is of course the point, but without seeing what I'll get with ultra I'm not sure it's worth the money.  Is the Warrior and Aligator 'Ultra' quality? They don't seem like it.  The textures seem rather smoothed out.  There is lots of inaccurate texturing as well (different parts bleed into other parts). 

I download memento but the textures that tool makes aren't very compelling, so I don't know what quality they are using either.

Can anyone share an ultra quality mesh with me, preferably of a person?  

Thanks,

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
the.anykey
in reply to: TalonOne

Message 3 of 9
TalonOne
in reply to: the.anykey

Thanks a lot Richard for sharing. I couldn't open the model with textures in Meshlab but I could open it in Momento.  The only thing that stinks about Momento is it forces shadows on and that makes the textures look not so great (Momento guys, please make that configurable).  What tool do you use to view meshes?

It seems that you're doing exactly what I am wanting to do.  I am building up a rig to take images of my kids because there are no places in the Boston area that offer this service! Right now I only have enough cameras for a half circle but I'm trying to find a tool that will build nice meshes and produce a high quality texture.  I'm currently using Canon A1200 cameras and a bunch CHDK and Perl scripts to drive them.  I have a really great collection of scripts that I wrote to download camera images (sorted into timestamped folders), synchronize camera clocks, change settings like shutter speed (REALLY proud of this because it's pretty hard to do it on all cameras at once), and other useful things.

If you're also using CHDK and Canon cameras I'd be happy to share. Happy to learn any tips you may have as well.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 4 of 9

Hi Matt

noted for Memento's shadows and we will see that we make more settings so we accomodate different viewings.

as to best practises and tips how to take best possible images for photogrammetry:

if you download Memento's Getting started guide or the Photo guide, i added in both of those tutorials, our best recommended practises of what is important when you shoot photos fro photogrammetry. The memento guide is a bit newer, so i would recommend you check there. You can find the guide here:

http://autodesk.blogs.com/files/Project%20Memento%20Getting%20Started.pdf

thanks, tanja

PS: if you need any more examples of Ultra quality of people, we can post few for you

Message 5 of 9

Thanks Tanja,

I'd love to see a few more samples. Since I couldn't see the last with shadows off I'm very interested still in seeing an ultra quality image.  It really makes a gigantic difference when you can disable shadows.  At least for my models, since they already have REAL shadows on them, the fake ones just takes away so much detal.

Thanks,

Matt

Message 6 of 9
the.anykey

Hi,

I am not using normal cameras but raspberry pi with the pi camera (5mp). They are all networked so it is very easy to manage the whole process. I can real time preview any image, shoot about 2 takes per second and only after a shoot all images are downloaded from the units. I wrote some windows software to very easily control all of this. I have sub 1/million th syncronization.

I started off with just 12 units to test. I think the samples i send you where done with about 50 cameras. Today i am using 90 cameras, so i can also do adults.

You can see some processed results here:
Www.sketchfab.com/3dmij

And some photos of actual prints on:
Www.3dmij.nl

This started as a fun hobby project to also just scan my 2 year old son, but we have turned it into a business scanning people commercially and i am also selling my 3d scan software. Working now on building full recap integration via the recap api.

I published my initial 3d scanner design on instructables.com, but made huge improvements after that.

Regards,
Message 7 of 9
murali.p

Hi Matt,

As Tatjana mentioned, we will look into the light settings in texture mode and let you know soon.

Memento down samples texture files if the VRAM on graphics card is not enough. This might be the reason why textures are not rendered to its true resolution. What is the size of texture files and VRAM available on your system?

Regards,

Murali

Message 8 of 9
TalonOne
in reply to: murali.p

Thanks for taking my comments on Memento.

I have an Nvidia GTX660 with 2 gigs of RAM.  

I think it's just the shadow detail that is making the model look 'bad'.  If I open an OBJ in meshlab it looks the same as memento.  If I disable the shadows in Meshlab the textures look better. I imagine the same will be true with memento.

Matt

Message 9 of 9
murali.p

Hi Matt,

Got it. We will fix the shadows in texture mode in our next update.

Regards,

Murali

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report