Community
ReCap Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s ReCap Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular ReCap topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerial photogrammetry

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
LyleHardin
3153 Views, 22 Replies

Aerial photogrammetry

[ Yehaw! First post on this forum. Can't belive it! ]

I've been dabbling with Recap 360 Photo for quite some time. I noticed a post yesterday (1/27) mentioning support for the wide angle lens of GoPro cameras. I have a DJI Phantom II Vision with a similar (if not better) camera. It's field of view is 140 degrees. I've uploaded and created projects with this camera / quad copter combination for about a week now. I'm wondering if I resubmit these projects if the results will be better. Also, I was confused about the new pricing situation, but it appears since we have subscription to many suites we can still access the Photo on Recap 360 for free.

So, this post boils down to two questions:

- Will my wide angle aerial photos do better now than they did last week?

- Can I still use Photo on Recap360 for free since we are on subscription?

Thanks

Lyle

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
vidanom
in reply to: LyleHardin

Hi Lyle,

Thank you for your post.

For the wide lens, you’ll have to use some software to defish your images first.

We have the specifications for GoPro3 and we do the defishing our self before the reconstruction of the model.

We are considering to implement the Phantom lenses, until then just be careful not to lose the Exif data while converting your photos.

You may try to submit your photos directly, but I’m not sure if that will work as good.

Regards,

Mitko

Message 3 of 23
LyleHardin
in reply to: vidanom

So, if I'm understanding this properly... I should manually remove distortion on my photos first (with GIMP or Photoshop or something) while keeping the Exif data in them, then submit them.

I don't quite understand the second sentence of your reply.  Does ReCap 360 Photo remove the distortion from GoPro or do you mean you manually removed it first?

And it sounds like if I tried to resubmit my project as is (without removing distortion), it would just turn out the same, eh?

Thanks,

Lyle

Message 4 of 23
vidanom

Hi Lyle,

We remove the distortion for GoPro on the cloud automatically. 

You can try for the Phantom too, but I don't think it will work.

If you see your photos straightened in your A360 folder, then it worked, but still not sure how well and how the results will be.

If not, yes, remove the distortion before and upload.

Mitko

Message 5 of 23
pmarchese

Just wanted to check in, has the DJI lens been implemented yet, or did the original poster find success with uploading directly or after modifying their images? Thanks for any updated info! P-
Message 6 of 23
Pierdi
in reply to: pmarchese

Hi,

Sorry but we are not supporting the Phantom Vision lens yet, you need to defish the images first before sending them in Recap Photo app.
Regarding the GoPro we are now supporting the HERO3 and HERO3+ natively.
The images coming from all other GoPro cameras are not supported and may need to be defisheyed before.

Best regards,

Pierre

Message 7 of 23
LyleHardin

I've not tried de-fisheyeing my photos and resubmitting them. Too many (48 or so).

The 3D model I got from Photo On Recap 360 when using my default Phantom II Vision camera was distorted.

I did remove the Vision camera and made a cardboard pocket mount for an old Canon Point and Shoot which I hung from the Vision's shock mounts.

I also applied the CHDK hack (Google it) to the camera so it would take a picture every 3 seconds.

Using this camera gave me very good results when processed through Photo on Recap360.

Be aware the Phantom II has a listed payload of 200 grams (I think) and the camera I used was 230 grams but it still performed well.

And also with this camera, I did not have the real time view capability of the Vision stock camera.

Lyle

Message 8 of 23
pmarchese

Thank you both for the replies! I know you said you used a cannon, but do you know if the pahntom 2 with the gopro can do the real time view? Ive been checking out the website and it seems that with the iosd mark2 thats possible.

Peter-

Message 9 of 23
LyleHardin

Sorry, but I've only used the Phantom II Vision. I'm not familiar with the GoPro varieties.

DJI's support would best answer that.

I'd like to hear the answer when you get one, though. I've thought of replacing the camera on my Vision with a GoPro 3 just so I could use it with ReCap Photo, even though I've read and seen reviews that shows the Vision camera is a better quality camera (Better pictures and video) than the GoPro.

Lyle

Message 10 of 23
pmpetros

I've been looking into the phantom II with the hero 3. The new phantoms just have a plug that natively hooks up to the phantom and transmits the video like the regular phantom II w/ vision.
Message 11 of 23
richiee

For those with the Vision, DJI and Adobe have released an Adobe Lens Profile for the Vision camera. If you have Photoshop/Lightroom/CameraRAW/etc you should try downloading the profile and applying the correction to your photos before uploading them. That should perform similar processing to what we have specifically for the GoPro and should improve your results. (I do not have access to a Vision so I cannot verify this, so please let us know if you try it and do indeed see better results.)
Message 12 of 23
pmarchese
in reply to: pmpetros

Interesting. Can you elaborate on that? When I spoke to a DJI rep he mentioned I would need to add an extra part, the DJI Avl58 to be able to do that. I know the newer GoPros can send video via wifi, but that its limited to about 100'. I'm hoping to get my hands on some hardware in the next few weeks. If/Once that happens I'll post how it goes along with some results.

Message 13 of 23
pmpetros

oh sorry, you do need this one cable. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000577-REG/dji_iosdmini_iosd_mini_on.html That should allow you to link you go pro to the phantom to allow video transmission. BE AWARE, do not video sync the go pro and the phantom 2 separately at the same time. They use the same frequency and interfere with each other and you could crash the phantom badly.
Message 14 of 23
msolomons

Hi all, Recap 360 now supports the Gopro Hero 3 and 3+, DJI now sell the Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse 3D Gimbal that suits the Hero 3 and 3+, I have this setup and the gimbal setup is superb and allows very stable video images.
With this setup and an immersion FPV TX/RX I get constant live video feed and on screen telemetry with the mini iosd option, whether taking photos, video or both at the same time.
The Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal also operates on 2.4ghz and the FPV on 5.8 ghz so no interference, oh and you MUST turn off the wifi on the Gopro or it will interfere with your controll of the Phantom2
Message 15 of 23
TalonOne
in reply to: msolomons

Thanks for the info!  I don't know how many other people know what you're talking about but FPV and photogrammetry are great together.  I was going to build something similar but using my own custom 5.8ghz FPV setup that I am using for my planes and a Blade 350QX with their new gimbal.  Nice to see other people doing the similar things.

Matt

Message 16 of 23
rpasalo

Any Autodesk support for the P2V/P2V+ lens yet? This is by far the most popular quadcopter on the market... if there isn't yet support, can we get an ETA?

Message 17 of 23
vidanom
in reply to: rpasalo

Thank you for adding,

We'll make sure to inform you as soon as we have solid news for this implementation and a date scheduled.

Support like this definitely helps with the Team’s decisions.

Regards,

Mitko

Message 18 of 23
Chris_Baze

I agree that it would great to have support for images from DJI Phantom Vision quadcopters. 

Message 19 of 23
JasonWallis76

Hi guys, Here is my latest experiment using my QR X350 Pro, SJ4000 and Autodesk ReCap to create a 3D photomesh of a nearby quarry wall. I defish all my images before uploading to ReCap 360. For more info on the mission visit my blog www.theaeroscout.com.au

Message 20 of 23
msolomons
in reply to: JasonWallis76

Hi Jason,

Nice to see someone else doing this stuff, I am still pursuing the Photogrammetry and have just got my Controllers Certificate to fly up to 7kg UAV's commercially through work, still early days but hopefully it will grow.

I have some experience with Recap 360 and other software for Photogrammetry, I currently have a P2 with a GoPro H3 Black although so far have not got very good results, I need to practice more I think.

I am also in Perth and work in the city so if you want to catch up some time for a coffee let me know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report