Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spawn by animated map

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
GeoffKornfeld
204 Views, 3 Replies

Spawn by animated map

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how to spawn particles from a surface using the lightest values of an animated procedural map. I can get the very first frame to work, but I cant seem to make things follow as the map animates. I know this can be done with PArray, but I want to do it with PFlow.

If I remember correctly Allan McCay covered that in the only tutorial on his site that is "Temporarily Offline" =o(

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
krueger_1
in reply to: GeoffKornfeld

It should work if you use a position object operator set to density by material with the animated map on the emitter object.
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: GeoffKornfeld

When you select a mesh as an emitter, there's a toggle for "Animated Shape." When this is unchecked, the emitter is only evaluated at the first frame, primarily to save processing cycles and because with a non-deforming emitter it's completely unnecessary. When you check the "Animated Shape" button, the emitter is evaluated at each integration step to account for changes. This is slower, but necessary for deforming geometry.

This is also true for animated textures. You have to force the PositionObject operator to reevaluate the emitter mesh at each integration step as the texture is changing.
Message 4 of 4
krueger_1
in reply to: Anonymous

You don't need animated shape turned on for animated textures, only objects whose surface moves.
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report