Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plug-ins and the like!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
164 Views, 7 Replies

Plug-ins and the like!

Hello,

I'm currently a student studying animation with a strong interest in VFX, in particular PFlow in Max. I've been thinking about getting into using plug-ins for paritlces and FX for a long time now so I was wondering if any of you nice people could recommend some good ones? And also recommend a good spec computer for FX work that won't cost an absolute fortune.

As far as the plug-ins go, I'm looking for things I can use with Pflow or just Max itself. I already know about FumeFX, Krakatoa, RealFlow and the like. Ideally could the plug-ins be free or not very expensive as being a student has left me pretty broke, or have a demo version. Plug-ins I'm interested in are things like cloth sims, hair, effects etc...

Many thanks in advance,
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Also what's the best verion of Max to work with particles? I've heard that 2012 seems a bit buggy for particles and that 2010 is a better version to work with. Just another little question.

Thanks,
Message 3 of 8
krueger_1

I don't think many of the plugins you want are going to be free since they're goal is to sell to vfx studios, you may get some demos though. But here's some more:

Hair Farm
Krakatoa - you already know about it, but the new version can render hair too
Frost
Thinking Particles
Volume Breaker
Afterburn
RayFire
Glu3D
PF Tools Box #2 & #3 - Box #2 can do tons of stuff with the physx glue (inlcuding cloth-like effects)

I still use 2009 mainly just because it's stable for me and quick. Max 2010 added what was PF Tools Box #1 so there's more operators in pflow, but I don't think 2011-2013 changed at all. I think some people have posted longer render times for newer releases (not particles but just in general).
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks very much. I've looked at a few of the ones you've mentioned already so I'll check out the other ones now. Another thing is tutorials for them but I can google for them.

I think I might go back to 2010. It seemed like everything just worked in 2010. I will miss the whole realistic viewport thing in 2012 though, that was quite a nice feature.

Thanks,
Message 5 of 8
krueger_1

The newer versions seem bloated with extras that aren't useful for me personally. They sound like they run slower and buggier even though AD always claims performance increases.

For tutorials, some have tutorials on their sites (like RayFire) showing the basics. Others have DVD's you can buy (like PF Tools Box #2). And there's always youtube and vimeo..
Maya 2012
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Ye I don't think there is any new features that I use on a day to day to basis in 2012 so 2010 will do me just fine. And that is true! I've just checked out the plugins and I have made a wish list which comes to about £4500, I best start saving seeing as I need a good enough computer to run them all as well!

Thanks
Message 7 of 8
krueger_1

You might see if there are some websites to get a student discount.
Maya 2012
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I was thinking that but I graduate this year so I don't know what the protocol is. I might try it anyway and see what happens.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report