Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pflow mapping objects

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
paolocravero3dviz
815 Views, 5 Replies

Pflow mapping objects

Hi,

i'm using Pflow to create a grid of little cubes, created distributing cubes on vertices of a plane. The problem is how to map these cubes. There's the possibility to map them with a unique bitmap or I have to create a texture for each cube? I'm using a mesher compund object now, but when cubes rotate the uv doesn't follow the rotation...

Any suggestion?

Thx in advance...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Yes it's possible and it's not too difficult. Let me go through the general workflow

-Create a box and apply whatever UV corrdinates you desire

-In the Material Editor, create a Multi/Sub-Object material and set the number of materials to the desired number of different bitmaps you want. I set it to 5 in my example.

-Create the a PFlow source

-The main things you need to alter are the following:

-Replace the Shape operator with a Shape Instance. Set the "Geometry Object" to the cube you created in the first step

-Also ensure that you check the "Acquire Mapping" box so that it will use the UV mapping on the cube

-Add a "Material Static" operator. Instance the material you made into this

-Enable "Assign Material ID, Show In Viewport"

-Chose whether you want the sub materials to cycle in order or be set randomly

-Set the # of sub-materials to the amount you created in your material. 5 again in my case

That should do it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 6

Thx Ben...

in this way all seem to be ok... and it works for sure...

My question was a little bit different...

It is possible to map the cubes with a unique texture for all the cubes? My goal is to have a grid of little cubes mapped with one big texture... Otherwise I will split the texture... but with high number of particles generated it can be very long process... If the question is not clear I will post a screenshot soon...

Message 4 of 6

Mapping problem risolved with ben suggestion... I've created multimat with 66 sub materials and applied a bitmap texture for each cube...

Now another strange problem: when I render my sequence an undefinied number of frames is rotated... as you see in attachments...

I'm really supresid of this... I cannot figure where's the problem...

Message 5 of 6

Rendering from the same computer or through a render farm?

To be honest I'm kinda surprised to at the rotation. Assuming that you're rendering from a camera, are there any keyframes on that camera?

Also is the scene really large or placed far from the centre of the world?

Ben Bisares
Message 6 of 6

quite strange I admit... resolved when i moved to my workstation... the problem was only on my laptop...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report