Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MassFX - Adjusting the Mass

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
papaf1
682 Views, 8 Replies

MassFX - Adjusting the Mass

I’ve been playing around with creating a Rope with Segments and constraints in MassFX. In the process I might find that I need to adjust the Linear and Angular Damping on all of the Mesh Objects that make up the Rope. But once I’ve created the rope with all of the segments I would have to change then all, one at a time, so does anyone know of a way to select all of the objects and change to them all on one adjustment.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
Autodesk Inventor & AutoCAD
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
Dual Intel Xeon 2.83 E5440 GHz
8.00 GB of Ram
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: papaf1

If you had created the objects as Instances in the beginning...

Message 3 of 9
papaf1
in reply to: Anonymous

Nooooo. Then the Parent and Child would have been instanced as well. To make it a segmented rope object, you have to have independent parent/child relationships for each segment.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 4 of 9
papaf1

I wish it was that simple though.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

@papaf1 wrote:

I need to adjust the Linear and Angular Damping on all of the Mesh Objects that make up the Rope.

I was about to say it works, but just re-read the post and found where I got confused. The title mentions adjusting Mass, but the post mentions damping.

The Damping properties belong to the Constraint, not the Mesh. It's possible with the meshes. If the meshes are instanced or just the RB mods on the meshes, then you can change the properties such as mass in the RB for all at once.

With the constraints it's different because of the unique parent/child properties as you say.

I'm not sure how, you can't Param Wire them, you cant access constraints in Track View to instance controllers for params.

Message 6 of 9
papaf1
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah, sorry about the confusion, I meant that title for the Mass of Constraints in the chain. But in my description I did mislead it a bit. I'll have to be more careful next time. Does anyone know of any scripts that would do this for constraints?

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 7 of 9
Paddycastle

Did anyone manage to find a work around or created a script for this? Would be really useful.

Message 8 of 9
aon.914858227
in reply to: Paddycastle

Mass editing of  properties and constraints is possible with the MassFX-Tools.

MassFX toolbar->Multi Object editor.

Or did i miss the point?

Message 9 of 9
Paddycastle
in reply to: aon.914858227

How did I miss that? Can't see the forest for the trees! Thank you so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report