Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine spec for Particle systems and heavy modelling in Max

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
terry.lee
229 Views, 6 Replies

Machine spec for Particle systems and heavy modelling in Max

Hi.

I am working in Max with imported Inventor models containing a lot of detail. I am also using particle systems for liquid flow/fire etc. I will also soon be looking at Max add-ons for heat/flame etc.

IT have supplied me with a possible spec for a new machine. Could someone please advise on the suitability/compatibility of the following with heavy Max/particle systems work.

Intel Xeon X5687 (3.6gGHz, 6.4GT/s, 12M, 4C)
Nvidia Quadro 5000 (2.5Gb, 2DP,& 1DVI-I) (1DP-DVI & 1DVI-VGA adaptor) (HEGA 17)

Many thanks,

Terry
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
krueger_1
in reply to: terry.lee

It looks fine to me. Unfortunately right now pflow is still single threaded, so your calculations will be limited to one core. But if you get FumeFX for example, it's multi-threaded and eats up a lot of RAM so you might want 8-12 gigs at least. I'm not sure about AD plans for pflow and particles, but right now they don't take advantage of gpu so you might get a lower card and more ram, or better cpu. I haven't used MassFX, but I think it may use gpu acceleration.

And with heavy particle systems, you might want to create lo-res geometry for things like object deflectors and such.
3ds Max 2009 SP1, 2010 SP1
Maya 2012
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Dual Intel Xeon E5520, 6 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 OC
Message 3 of 7
terry.lee

Thanks Krueger.

They have quoted 24Gb of RAM so that should be OK! As long as the processor and graphics are compatible that's fine.

Is there anything else (Max/Particle system related) machine wise that I should be aware of before they go ahead and purchase?

Did you see the message I sent?

Many thanks,

Terry
Message 4 of 7
krueger_1

I think you'll be good then. The only thing I might do is trade the graphics card for a better cpu, but I don't know how much you need the gpu. (I don't utilize the gpu as much as other people.)

I saw your message and replied, maybe it didn't go through. But if you want to use youtube or yousendit so I can take a look, we can get your issues sorted out.
Maya 2012
Message 5 of 7
terry.lee

Hi Krueger.

I also sent a second message. Did this one get through?

Many thanks,

Terry
Message 6 of 7
krueger_1

Nope, just got the first one.
Maya 2012
Message 7 of 7
terry.lee

I just resent the message.

Cheers,

Terry

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report