Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conveyor Belt simulation

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
robmatthews
2135 Views, 1 Reply

Conveyor Belt simulation

I'm very new to 3DSMax, attempting to teach myself via the tutorials.  (My normal role is using Inventor, designing for manufacture.) 

Per the title, I'm attempting to create a simulation for a system of conveyor belts, using a particle flow for the product that will be transported.  I have the 3DS Max Design 2013 tutorial titled "ConveyorBelt" (from the "3ds Max 2013 Extension Particle Flow Simulation" http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=18995103&siteID=123112&linkID=9241175), which has two "planes" modified to resemble conveyors with side guides. 

I have two questions:

1. How was the plane modified to get the sides on it? I see it was done in the "Edit mesh" modifier, but... how did they do this?

2. One of my belts will be running up hill at a fairly steep angle, and so it will need "flights", to support the product.  How should I create these?

Further info: I intend to import my inventor models (minus the belts) as frames and hoppers etc for the scene.

Thanks in advance.

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
robmatthews
in reply to: robmatthews

Well, I feel just a bit like a doofus.

For question 1, i figured it out. I tried to duplicate the thing.  Created a plane, inserted an "Edit Mesh" modifier, and then chose "Edge" selection.  I selected the outer edges (ensuing i had enough length and width segments), and just invoked the "Select and move" tool and dragged the glyph upwards. Duh.

And to get the belt flights, I'm just going to do the same.

So there you go, in case anyone else is wondering.

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report