Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

middle mouse button (mouse wheel) sudden change of behavior

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
194 Views, 8 Replies

middle mouse button (mouse wheel) sudden change of behavior

Recently my mouse is not allowing me to pan in the viewport in MAX - when pressing the middle mouse button - pressing the mouse wheel - it DID pan the viewport. But now it minimizes the application. I now see it seems to just go to the next open app. This happens in all my apps, not just MAX - so it must be a Windows XP setting - but I can't find it anywhere. Any WinXP gurus out there with an answer?

Thanks,
Mike

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is a Wacom mouse/tablet that I'm using.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you update your mouse drivers? That sounds very much like a mouse driver "feature". Uninstall (mouse drivers) - if everything works as expected then try reinstalling them.
Did you have a system crash? I've had similar problems with my sound card driver "losing" its settings after a crash.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Have not had any crashes, didn't install new drivers for any hardware. Forgot to mention in my original post that this is a Wacom mouse/tablet that I'm using. I checked the settings for the fingerwheel, as they call it, and there aren't any options to change the click behavior for it. I also tried a generic mouse, and it does the same thing.

Mike
Message 4 of 9
Steve_Curley

The "Finger Wheel" will be the scroll options (if any) - the click will be "middle button" (maybe "button 3") or similar. Apart from an uninstall/reinstall I don't know what else to suggest, but it HAS to be to do with the drivers, because the middle button is pretty much a default feature these days - regardless of the actual device, and because it's affecting all programs. The driver is the only place for re-mapping the usage of a button (AFAIK).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Well.... a re-install of the Wacom drivers didn't help any.
I'm thinking that one of the games my daughter played at addictinggames.com may have set the driver into a state and I see no way of changing it.

Mike
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Turns out it was a setting with the nVidia nView manager - not sure how it got set - but turning it off did the trick.

Mike
Message 7 of 9
Steve_Curley

Glad you found the cause Mike - I wouldn't have suspected video drivers for that.

Which setting was it - just out of interest?

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

In the nView Desktop Manager - on the Mouse tab there is a "Toggle window z-order with middle mouse button". It could be possible that I set it - but I don't remember or see a reason why I would.

Mike
Message 9 of 9
Steve_Curley

Thanks Mike - that could well help others who get a similar problem in the future.

Cheers.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report