Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main difference between Maya, 3D Max and Blender?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
13201 Views, 4 Replies

Main difference between Maya, 3D Max and Blender?

Hi

I am a 3D animation professor and there is a question my students ask me all the time, so I am going to ask it here to get some feedback.
I`d like to know your opinion on what are the strengths and weakenesses that Maya and 3D Max have when comparing them to each other. Why does the big studios prefer Maya?
Also which are the main differences between these two softwares and Blender? Why does someone would prefer to spend a lot of money on Max or Maya when Blender is free?
Thank you for your answers.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anifex09
in reply to: Anonymous

Maya was designed for large studio productions. It enables the user to animate complex animations. All great 3D Studios want to push the limits of their work. Maya allows you to do this by not limiting the number of ways to solve problems. Every tool talks to each other and if it doesn't you can find a way to connect them. This is one of the most powerful and successful node based platforms I have every used. Many free lance artist use Max simple because many of the tools are automated and you can start to get good visual results with little effort. I started with Max and Autocad, I had a difficult time moving to Maya but, once I did I was able to pull of animations that landed me a Job. I now own may own company and could not have done it with out Maya. Amazing 3D Animation and special effects are a set of goals with a set of problems, Maya is a program that is designed to allow the artist to solve these problems.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Maya dominates film because it was originally a unix suite and everyone in fx was using SGI machines. Now a days it's for different reasons, but being able to work on unix is a big reason since most fx houses use Renderman. Max doesn't play well with either unix or Renderman so it's use would be limited to most big fx studios.
Max is a more and more capable product now for film, although it's built in particles and character tools could use some work to compete with Maya and Xsi in those areas. Modeling rendering and rigging are not that far off in Max in recent versions.
From a business stand point I don't think Autodesk worries since all three products are under one roof. No sense making Maya better for Arch Viz or Max better for film when you already have products that fit the bill. I am a Max user mostly and for Arch Viz or games I generally prefer Max, it's the better modeler and with great Vray integration it is my tool of choice for those areas I focus on.
Blender is a bit of a work in progress right now, but for free is catching up quickly to the big boys. Being open source it's developers can't have the sort of focus a commercial team can I guess, but it's sporting some pretty cool features.
Cheers
Mike K
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Thank you for your answers, they are of grat help for me.
Message 5 of 5
Steve_Curley

This is a duplicated thread - see http://area.autodesk.com/forum/t61790

In future, please do NOT create duplicate threads as it fragments all the replies and is a breach of the forum rules.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report