Did you mean: 

x64 Build - Failed to register COM server

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
LE3
Advocate
2597 Views, 2 Replies

x64 Build - Failed to register COM server

I just started to build some win32 projects that have com wrappers (for the properties palette) to x64, added all the right new environment paths for the x64 ARX SDK ("$(ARX2010)\inc-x64";"$(ARX2010)\inc"...) I think.

Got them builded without any error, and once I load the dbx into the x64 AutoCAD machine, it simple display the error:

Failed to register COM server

Even, tried with a simple single atl COM project  (no custom object) and does the same.

Just want to put myself up to date into this, and want to know how to setup right from win32 to x64, any special settings required? or something manually needs to be done on the x64 machine, the os is windows vista home premium. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
davidm_adn
in reply to: LE3

Are you importing the right axdb18enu.tlb?  Have a look in the IDL file in your project and find the importlib call to import the tlb, see what path the tlb is coming from.  From what I remember, by default it comes from the inc-win32 folder, not the inc-x64 folder

Message 3 of 3
ow
Contributor
in reply to: LE3

Try to run AutoCAD as Administrator. 

Either by right clicking on a shortcut for acad.exe and use "Run as Administrator", or do the same with Visual Studio if you're starting the program from the debugger. 

AutoCAD doesn't have enough rights to modify the registry-settings when run in normal mode under Vista & Win7 with UAC enabled, so the self-register functionality of the dbx doesn't work unless it's running as administrator.

The "Failed to register COM server" message will come back next time AutoCAD is run in normal mode (unless you comment out the acutPrintf call), but then the COM-wrapper should then already be installed, and working. 

-Maybe Autodesk could take a look at this problem, and perhaps do some adjustments to the ArxWizard..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost