Did you mean: 

vs2010, the breakpoint will not currently be hit

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
adadnet
10573 Views, 11 Replies

vs2010, the breakpoint will not currently be hit

the full message in vs2010 reads "the breakpoint will not currently be hit. no symbols have been loaded for this document".

in the solved solution provided for step 3 with the 2013 objectarx training (CREATE and SETLAYER commands), breakpoints are hit. when creating the solution with the wizard 2013, in my case, they are not, along with the above information (though both solutions compile, are recognised and work in acad, ie block and layer are created and blocklayer changed). the breakpoint is placed on one of the messages that appear in the acad commandline. both solutions are configured for 64bit and acad2013.

i've compared property settings and tools options but couldn't identify anything that would appear to make a difference.

i'm grateful for any feedback,

thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
owenwengerd
in reply to: adadnet

You're probably loading the wrong file into AutoCAD. Make sure you've selected the Debug build configuration, and that you've included debug information, and that you're loading the file so built.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 12
adadnet
in reply to: owenwengerd

thank you for your reply.

the project configuration has been set to debug 64bit;

debug information is included (configuration properties->linker->debugging->generate debug info: yes);

it's this file that i load into acad via arx->l (i rebuilt and there is no other in this solution).

however, when i first build the file and when i rebuild, i get warning LNK4099 PDB 'rxapi_cl.pdb' was not found with .lib file. with properties set not to treat warnings like errors, the project compiles (and runs) but the breakpoints remain empty and with aforementioned message; the linker warning disappears thereafter.

Message 4 of 12
owenwengerd

Double check to make sure that the file you're loading is the file that's being built by copying and pasting the path from the build output log, and make sure you don't have something else loading that overwrites your commands with commands of the same name from a different file. Also, make sure you're attaching the native debugger, and that the code containing your breakpoint is actually being compiled into the output file (i.e. make sure it's not removed by the preprocessor).

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 5 of 12
adadnet

thanks again for your reply.

instead of trying to work back to the issue, i start up with the minimum:

1. start a new objectarx 2013 wizard project in vs2010

2. change x86 to x64 in the configuration manager

3. add inc and inc64 sdk folder file paths in project properties c++; name additional libraries as per objectarx training in project properties linker; add lib64 sdk folder file path in project properties linker; and change acad.exe 86x file path to acad.exe 64x file path in project properties debugging command

4. add 'acutPrintf(_T("\nHello World!"));'

into the ...

static void AsdkMyGroupMyCommand () {
// Put your command code here
}

... brackets where indicated and set breakpoint on acutPrintf line

5. build project to produce folders and files in the vs2010 projects folder, including exactly one .arx file with current time stamp. the build has one warning, which is LNK4099 "rxapi_cl.pdb not found"

6. start debugging

7. in acad2013, use F2 window and type 'myc' in commandline to confirm that no 'MyCommandLocal' is recognised already

8. locate and load the above .arx file (refer to 5.) via 'arx' option 'l'. F2 window does not react with any comments e.g. like 'file already loaded' etc

9. type 'my' in commandline to see the four objectarx 2013 default command choices

10. chose 'MyCommandLocal' for the above edited default command (refer to 4.) and observe 'Hello World!' in commandline

the breakpoint in vs2010 appears empty with warning triangle throughout the debugging process; hovering over it displays message 'the breakpoint will not currently be hit. no symbols have been loaded for this document.'

i hope to have followed up the suggestions made, while reducing the project to a minimum

Message 6 of 12
owenwengerd

That is an excellent problem report. Everything you've done looks correct, and your method for ensuring that the correct module is loaded seems sound. Have you checked your debug log output (in the VS Output pane) to see what is logged when you perform the ARX|Load? If there are no clues in the debug log, I would start by doing a reboot of the machine, then if the problem persists, repair VS 2010 and search for VS 2010 bug fixes (many are not well publicised). Beyond that I'm out of ideas.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 7 of 12
adadnet

you did mention the debug log output earlier, and i was distracted by the amount of information in there (-with hindsight, i looked at the build output anyway).

however, the debug output shows no fewer lines, i.e. (pre-arx load) first-chance exceptions in 1. acad.exe, some related to c++; 2. sys.win.data related to unresolved binding to ribboncontrol elements.

then executing the arx-loaded 'mycommandlocal' gives one line of 'First-chance exception at 0x000007fefd119e5d in acad.exe: 0xE0640002: 0xe0640002.', near-identical to some of the ones mentioned under '1.' above.

ps a repair of vs2010 stalled at the effort to locate the right vs_setup.msi, but that's a different subject. unless the above does give any further clues, i'll treat this now as a vs issue with your comments in mind (rather than objectarx) and mark accordingly. many thanks for your help owenwengerd.

pps i don't understand though how then vs2010 does hit breakpoints in the solved solution provided by autodesk in the training link; behaviour and debug output appear identical, and so seem project configuration and properties relating to inc and lib folders of the sdk.

Message 8 of 12
owenwengerd

I'd like to see your debug log in case there's something I've missed. Before you ARX|Load, clear the log and make sure Exception, Module Load, Module Unload, and Program Output messages are enabled (right-click on the log window to clear it and/or change settings). After ARX|Load and running your command, copy and paste the output.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 9 of 12
adadnet

i had to enable module load and unload, i.e. in addition to 'all', 'exception' and 'symbol search', and also enabled 'process exit', 'step filtering' and 'thread exit'; the result in debug output is (if i observed correctly, all after arx load and before command execution, nothing after execution):

'acad.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\actxprxy.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'acad.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win64 Thread' (0x11c4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'acad.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\thumbcache.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'acad.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcSignCore16.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'acad.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\UIAutomationProvider\d35081765fdd8134e058a9285cd2c0ef\UIAutomationProvider.ni.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'acad.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\Felix\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\BaseProject\x64\Debug\AsdkBaseProject.arx', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win64 Thread' (0xbc0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
System.Windows.Data Error: 4 : Cannot find source for binding with reference 'RelativeSource FindAncestor, AncestorType='System.Windows.Controls.ItemsControl', AncestorLevel='1''. BindingExpression:'P'ath=HorizontalContentAlignment; DataItem=null; target element is 'ListBoxItem' (Name=''); target property is 'HorizontalContentAlignment' (type 'HorizontalAlignment')
'acad.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\tiptsf.dll'
'acad.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\AcCloud.dll'
'acad.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\en-US\AcCloudRes.dll'
'acad.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\AdFTP.dll'

(i stripped out a few of the 'error: 4' messages for readability.)

Message 10 of 12
owenwengerd

Sorry, I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the log.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 11 of 12
Namoi1

I was getting this with an Inventor project, all I had to do was manually copy

the .dll from the debug folder into C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 20xx\Bin\   folder everytime I rebuild

and the .addin into the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor 20xx\Addins\   folder, the first time (unless I changed it)

then I got my breakpoints hitting.

It's obiously different folders for AutoCad but you get the jist.

I was fumbly around for days trying to figure it out, so your problem might be totally different, just thought I'd post here for the novice like me who might stumble here too.

Im using VS Express 2013, and Inventor 2015.  The readme in the template invnetor project says you have to copy these files to the above locations, but I was just thinking that would be once you're happy the the way the program runs in debug mode, but obviously not.

using IV2015
C-H
Message 12 of 12
trithuongle

I have the same problem .Then i tried your advice and it works.

Thanks you so much !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost