ObjectARX
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question... What is the best and easiest language to automate Autocad?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mistle60
346 Views, 4 Replies

Question... What is the best and easiest language to automate Autocad?

Friends,

I have been out of the programming scene for a long time.  Back when I left I used AutoLISP and 'C' had been introduced as another option.  So you see it was pre 'Release 13.'

Now with the .net and ObjectARX, I have no clue which is the best to pursue so I'm reaching out to the more knowledgeable masses.

Any help?

Much appreciated,

mistle60

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
owenwengerd
in reply to: mistle60

I think it should be obvious with some reflection that there is no "best" or "easiest" language or API, as those answers depend on the project requirements and the skills and abilities of the individual programmer.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 5
mistle60
in reply to: owenwengerd

Thank you owenwengerd.

I realize the question was rather vague.

I envision that the app will manipulate dozens of layers which curtail our product line options, on/off, showing the specific options selected by the user. Rather than the user knowing all the correct layers to select, it would be controlled by the app, e.g. Do you want LH or RH option?

Some error handling to allow the user to quit, skip, or try again.

The app would be accessing Autocad commands and possibly an external list for layer recognition and comparison.

Other than that I hadn't put much thought to it.

Appreciate your time and attention,

mistle60

Message 4 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: mistle60

From your description this could be done with most of the options - LISP, managed dotNET, or ObjectARX.  As stated each has advantages and disadvantages.

Since code is the end product and not the starting point, a well defined work process will be extremely beneficial to you.  Data flow diagrams (where is is stored?  Where does it go to?  What does the user need to provide?), command-line vs. dialog input, mock-ups of dialogs, and so on.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 5
mistle60
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks dgorsman!

I will not be involved at the programming level but may have general requirements and feedback to input.

The goal is simplification.

Thanks for your feedback!

mistle60

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost