Did you mean: 

Multithreading experience?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
440 Views, 3 Replies

Multithreading experience?

Hello group,

Does anyone have experience with multithreaded apps using ObjectARX? I first tried OpenMP, but that crashed AutoCAD att first attempt.

Next try, PPL, seemed to work better ... until I get a memory-related crash in AcGeLine3d::getClosestPoint. According to the debugger, it's trying to allocate 3+MB memory for that operation?!?

I'm not too fond of those AcGe* classes anyway, since they hide data in pimpl-style structures, making debugging unnecessary hard. Inserting my own classes is a definate workaround.

This is an evaluation copy of AutoCAD 2013. BTW,

1) The appload commands creates it's dialog but crashes on first mouse click.

2) AutoCAD 2013 also fails to install on computers with Visual Studio11 preview installed.

Best regards,

Henrik Vallgren

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
owenwengerd
in reply to: Anonymous

Except for some parts of the display code, none of AutoCAD's core code supports multiple threads. Even if you test something that seems to work, there is no guarantee that it will work all the time. That doesn't mean your own code can't be multi-threaded, of course, but you can't safely call into AutoCAD from any but the main AutoCAD thread.

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: owenwengerd

Thanks for your reply Owen. Good thing I only use a few simple AcGe classes/methods that could easily be replaced.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

PPL seems to work if you stay away from AutoCAD related calls.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost