Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating an Entities GUID

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tagbagz
538 Views, 1 Reply

Generating an Entities GUID

Many of the Autodesk Products use GUID's to identify Entities/Objects.

Whilst Revit internally utilses unique identifers (not specifically GUID's) the API has a number of tools to allow the GUID's it creates on export to be generated.

GUID's in Revit in some instances are created by XORing the EpisodeID with the ElementID, I tried this logic in AutoCAD (XORing the DrawingFingerGuid with the Handle) but this results in a different GUID to the one created on IFC export (I appreciate the IFC export GUID is encoded but essentially its the same GUID) which should also be the same as the GUID that is associated with entities when imported into Navisworks.

So what I am after is a method to generate GUID's for AutoCAD entities, A method that will result in the same GUID that gets assiged on IFC export (it doesn't necessarily have to be converted to the IFC compliant GUID), or creates the GUID that gets created on import to Navisworks (it should be the same method for both versions of the GUID)

Many Thanks

Paul M

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
fenton.webb
in reply to: tagbagz

You may want to consider posting this question to the Revit forum, where presumably some AutoCAD peeps have moved to Revit and may know the answer :-S

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost