Did you mean: 

Cannot load arx files in Win XP

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Shamanek
1193 Views, 9 Replies

Cannot load arx files in Win XP

Hello everybody,

I searched a lot through the forum but could not find anything about my problem.

I am developing an arx and a dbx extensions for AutoCAD 2009.

The problem now. The machine is running under Windows XP 64bit. The AutoCAD version is 64 bit (I am not sure. How can I check this?).

If I build the arx for 32bit, AutoCAD complains that the arx is incompatible with this version of AutoCAD.

If I build the arx for 64bit, AutoCAD complains that the arx is an invalid ARX file.

However the same arx files for 64bit are running in AutoCAD 2009 under Windows 7 without any problems.

What can I do about these problems :smileyindifferent: I am using Visual Studio 2005 to build the files and I am also using ObjectARX_2009_Win_64_and_32Bit libraries.

Thanks in advance for the help.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Perhaps the problem is in the absence of appropriate versions of dll-files, wich your's arx-file is using. Try to use DEPENDS.EXE (http://www.dependencywalker.com/)

As I remember you have to using VS 2005 with SP1 for AutoCAD 2009. Try to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 3 of 10
Shamanek
in reply to: Shamanek

Hi,

The last thing I tried to do was:

Build the "ARXDBG" sample project for Release. I am using ObjectARX_2009_Win_64_and_32Bit.

So the output arx file ran successfully on AutoCAD 2009 on Windows 7 (64bit) and unsuccessfully on AutoCAD 2009 Windows XP ( 64bit).

I will now try this dependency walker to see if it will help.

Regards

Message 4 of 10

As I know there is no SP2 for VS 2005. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.

Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Expert Elite Member

Message 5 of 10

Hi,

Sofar, I have installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) on the Windows XP machine.

Loading the *.arx file still says that it is not a valid ARX file.

Here it is the screen of the dependency walker:

error.PNG

There are dlls missing I suppose ... What else shall I do 😞 I do not have any ideas.

Thanks

Message 6 of 10

1. Add directory for acad.exe (menu Options->Configure Module Search Order->Add directory) in depends.exe

2. What about msjava.dll (x86)?

Expert Elite Member

Message 7 of 10

Hi,

After adding the directory of ACAD the first few errors dissapeared. Forget about the msjava.dll. I do not think it has anything to do with the problem.

I have an improvement. After setting "Generate Manifest" from the options of the project, the sample project ran on the target machine.

However this (setting the "Generate Manifest" to false) did not help for my arx project. It still says *.arx is an invalid ARX file. After that a message box appears:

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x2ac6be28 Exception at 40041996h.

I am attaching a screen shot from dependency walker of my arx:

error1.PNG

I do not know why these dlls cannot be found (MFC80U.dll, MSVCP80.dll, MSVCR80.dll) 😞

Regards

Message 8 of 10
Shamanek

Hi,

After setting the "Generate manifest" to false, on my build machine ( Windows 7 ) there are no missing dlls from the dependency walker while on my target machine the three dlls I have posted above are missing 😞

Message 9 of 10

Try to load dbx-file before loading arx-file

Expert Elite Member

Message 10 of 10
Shamanek

Hi,

Loading the *.dbx file is not an issue - it load successfully.

I found out what was wrong Smiley Wink 

The *.arx file was meant to be a "bridge" between AutoCAD and another application. The problem is that my other application is built for 32 bit while AutoCAD and *.arx file are 64 bit. In the "dllMain" of the *.arx file I am trying to inistiate a variable from the 32 bit application which results in throwing an exception. However AutoCAD has a try - catch ( I Suppose) and if something throws it just say that the file is not a valid ARX file.

Thanks very much for the support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost