Did you mean: 

ARX file fails to load

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
cadproman
14555 Views, 14 Replies

ARX file fails to load

I'm getting a message at the command line saying that my newest arx file "is an invalid ARX file" and next that "AcRxDynamicLinker failed to load" the file. Immediately before these lines, it shows that another older ARX file has loaded and works in AutoCAD.

While the older one was built using VS 2005 (I'm using AutoCAD 2008), the newer one was built with VS 2010 after making the modifications necessary to build using the 2005 platform toolset, shown at the following page:

http://nanlee.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/building-against-msvc2005-toolset-using-msvc2010/

After finding that the file would not load on all computers, I went back and created a new project in VS 2005 and inserted the existing CPP and H files just to end up with the same errors.

The arx file loads and works fine on the computer I compiled it from, as well as several others. I do not understand why it will not load on all of the computers. All are running Windows XP Service Pack 3 and AutoCAD 2008 Service Pack 1.

Please let me know if you have any ideas as to how this can be corrected, or if any additional information might be useful.

Ralph

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
owenwengerd
in reply to: cadproman

The information you used to add a VC 2005 target platform is incomplete. You should use Daffodil instead:

http://otb.manusoft.com/2010/10/visual-studio-2010-native-multi-targeting.htm

If you want to resolve the problem manually without using Daffodil, this might help:

http://otb.manusoft.com/2007/01/my-manusoft-manifest-manifesto.htm

--

Owen Wengerd

ManuSoft

--
Owen Wengerd
ManuSoft
Message 3 of 15
cadproman
in reply to: owenwengerd

Owen, thanks for the response. I installed Daffodil, which was much easier than what I tried first. I wish I had found it when I was first trying to figure out how to use VS 2010. I changed the Platform Toolset to v80 and tried to build, but got the same results as before.

I ended up making the following changes, one of which solved the problem:

1. Starting another new project using the ObjectARX wizard in VS 2005

2. Putting it directly on my computer instead of the server

3. Creating new files in VS 2005 and copy and pasting the text from the 2010 files to the 2005 ones instead of adding the 2010 ones to the project. I did use the wizard to add the commands to the premade acrxEntryPoint file, and only changed it to call my main function from another h/cpp file.

Hopefully something was left over from adding the existing files that prevented it from working when using Daffodil. I will try it next time from a fresh start. Thanks again for letting me know about it.

There were a couple of things I don't understand that are possibly related. Originally, I saved the project on a server and got the following messages when creating the project:

Visual C++ found a suitable loation to store its browsing database and IntelliSense files for the solution "M:\Toolbox\Support 2008\ARX\Source Code Files\Visual Studio 2010\FindUnsizedBeams\FindUnsizedBeams.sln."

Visual C++ examined the folder "M:\Toolbox\Support 2008\ARX\Source Code Files\Visual Studio 2010\FindUnsizedBeams." This folder is not suitable because of the following:
The directory is on a network share or drive mapped to a network share.

Because a 'Fallback Location' was not specified in the C++ Advanced Options, Visual C++ is attempting to use your temporary directory.

Visual C++ examined the folder "C:\DOCUME~1\RALPHG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\VC++\findunsiz​edbeams-57a3f303." This folder is suitable because of the following:
The directory is on a local drive.

The 'Fallback Location' is configurable under C++ Advanced Options.

Press OK to use this location.
Press Cancel to disable C++ browsing information and IntelliSense for this session.

Also, I get the following warnings when building the release file that wont load:

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuil​d.targets(990,5): warning MSB8012: TargetPath(M:\Toolbox\Support 2008\ARX\Source Code Files\Visual Studio 2010\FindUnsizedBeams\Win32\Release\FindUnsizedBea​ms.dll) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (M:\Toolbox\Support 2008\ARX\Source Code Files\Visual Studio 2010\FindUnsizedBeams\Win32\Release\MLAWFindUnsize​dBeams.arx). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuil​d.targets(991,5): warning MSB8012: TargetExt(.dll) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (.arx). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuil​d.targets(992,5): warning MSB8012: TargetName(FindUnsizedBeams) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (MLAWFindUnsizedBeams). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).

If anyone knows if these are related to the problem, or how to prevent them, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ralph

Message 4 of 15
fenton.webb
in reply to: cadproman

These errors are related to Visual Studo 2010 property sheet changes...

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuil​d.targets(990,5): warning MSB8012: TargetPath(M:\Toolbox\Support 2008\ARX\Source Code Files\Visual Studio 2010\FindUnsizedBeams\Win32\Release\FindUnsizedBea​ms.dll) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (M:\Toolbox\Support 2008\ARX\Source Code Files\Visual Studio 2010\FindUnsizedBeams\Win32\Release\MLAWFindUnsize​dBeams.arx). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).

<<<<<<<<< Goto the General Page and make sure the Output Directory and the Intermediate directory are set with the same parameters as those used in your Output path... e.g. General->Output Directory=$(SolutionDir)$(Platform)\$(Configuration)\ and Linker->Output File=$(OutDir)$(TargetName)$(TargetExt)

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuil​d.targets(991,5): warning MSB8012: TargetExt(.dll) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (.arx). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).

<<<<<<<<<<<<< Change General->Target Extension=.arx

1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuil​d.targets(992,5): warning MSB8012: TargetName(FindUnsizedBeams) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (MLAWFindUnsizedBeams). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< same as the first problem.

Cheers
Fenton Webb

Autodesk Developer Network

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Message 5 of 15
reshma.dhotre
in reply to: owenwengerd

AcRxDynamicLinker failed to load
'D:\Test\ObjectARX\MFCLibrary\x64\Debug\MFCLibrary.arx'
C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Map 3D 2010\acad.exeUnable to load MFCLibrary.arx file.

I am getting same problem:

configuration : VS2013, ObjectARX 2010,  Autocad 2010

Installed Daffodils.ENU.msi mentioned by you in reply. no avail.

Any pointers would be immensely appreciated.

Message 6 of 15

Without installed VS2008 SP1 you can not create arx-file for AutoCAD (MAP) 2010

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 7 of 15

That was awesome, this time something at least worked in VS2008 SP1 + Autocad Map 3D 2010 + ObjectARX2010.

appload loaded successfully arx file in Autocad.

But we need to do it in (VS2013 + Autocad Map 3D 2010 ), so which version of ObjectARX would be compatible for VS2013.

Maybe any additional updates or service packs

(Steps along-with would be greatly appreciated)

Message 8 of 15

AutoCAD 2010 is compatible ONLY with VS 2008 SP1. You can not use VS 2013 with any of AutoCAD and ObjectARX versions? Do you understand me?

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.

Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Expert Elite Member

Message 9 of 15

Thanks.

But which version of AutoCAD  & which version of ObjectArx is compatible for Vs2013 ?

Message 10 of 15

There is not ObjectARX and AutoCAD versions compatible with VS 2013.

Expert Elite Member

Message 11 of 15

Thank you for valuable information.

Message 12 of 15
fenton.webb
in reply to: reshma.dhotre

With newer versions of Visual Studio (>= 2010) you can target the correct compiler version simply by setting the Platform Toolset - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2009/12/08/c-native-multi-targeting/

One caveat to this is with Visual Studio 2015, they have multiple updates which are binary incompatible making it impossible to target both 2017 and 2018 on the same build computer.

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Message 13 of 15

Hi @fenton.webb

How glad I am to see you here! 🙂

What about this line:

AutoCAD 2016 (supports Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 and 2013)

As far as I remember VS 2012 and 2013 has different runtime library. So without installed VS 2012 and without Platform Toolset setting to V100 it is imposible create valid arx-file for AutoCAD 2016.

Also I (and many other developers) use VS 2015 Update 3 both for AutoCAD 2017 and 2018 without any problems. Can you clarify in which case the problem arises?

Expert Elite Member

Message 14 of 15

Oops! I meant Platform Toolset V110 (VS 2012) against Platform Toolset V120 (VS 2013).

Expert Elite Member

Message 15 of 15

Ah, thanks! Nice to see you too! Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, the details of why 2015 Update 3 differs from RTM are not known to me in detail, I just know that we have strict notes of those versions.

About the VS 2012 and 2013 - platform toolset 110 should be used (which 2012 comes with)

Fenton Webb
AutoCAD Engineering
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost