Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to get Visual Studio Pro 2010

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
BugWare
417 Views, 3 Replies

Where to get Visual Studio Pro 2010

I've recently migrated from AutoCAD OEM 2011 using Visual Studio 2008, to AutoCAD OEM 2014, which requires Visual Studio 2010 Pro (if I'm not mistaken).  I've been using the trial versions of VS2010, but of course it's at the end of the free period.  Microsoft doesn't sell it any more, so I have to find a place who does.  The two attempts to buy it from ebay or other have resulted in one that just sent an empty case with a number that didn't work, and the next was a student version which is illegal to use.

First, will VS 2012 work?  It's actually cheaper than the 2010 versions for sale out there, and you can get 2012 from Microsoft.  Any other solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Mitch

Micropaleontology
Oil Industry
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: BugWare

Visual Studio Express?  (Yes, the Express editions work for developement and the licensing allows you to create for-sale products)  Otherwise, VS 2012 should work.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 4
mpalan2009

Microsoft will send you a prevous release.  I was once in a situation much like yours.  I bought the latest release and then called up Microsoft and they happily sent me a free downgrade license.  For a similar product of course.  This was also many years ago.  It would be worth looking into.

Matthew

Message 4 of 4
StephenPreston

If you look in your VS2012 EULA, you should find it gives you permission to use any older version of VS - so a new license should not be required (but obviously a license isn't the same as the media or the activation key).

The easiest way to get VS2010 is if you're an MSDN member - it should be one of thr subscriber downloads. The last time someone asked me this question who wasn't an MSDN members (quite a long time ago) they were able to order the older VS media from a Microsoft reseller.

BTW You will have to install the correct VS version for your AutoCAD OEM application - because the OEM application has to be built using the correct VC++ version. Once you have it installed, you can develop using VS2012 using the Platform Toolset feature to target the correct VC++ and .NET versions.

Cheers,

Stephen Preston
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost