.NET

Contributor
jacobwilliamscad
Message 1 of 24 (739 Views)
Accepted Solution

Visual Studio Edit and Continue not working anymore

739 Views, 23 Replies
06-24-2013 09:50 PM

I'm new, hoping you can help. I develop AutoCAD using .NET, I use the Edit and Continue feature in Visual Studio 2008 while debugging and testing what I wrote. I recently got a new machine and now my Edit and Continue doesn't seem to work anymore. Any ideas why not? 

Jake

Many tx for all the information.

Sorry but I didn't read anything that I wanted to run with, however, further investigation using some of the keywords on this thread unearthed a 'longbow' solution which has now solved my problem. I am now running 32bit 2010, 2013 and 2014 on my 64bit machine (no 64bit versions of AutoCAD at all), with Edit and Continue working fine, and I'm back up and working as before. 

tx all

Distinguished Mentor
gasty1001
Message 2 of 24 (729 Views)

Re: Visual Studio Edit and Continue not working anymore

06-24-2013 10:46 PM in reply to: jacobwilliamscad

Hi,

Bad news: There is no Edit & Continue in VS on 64 bit period, see this Edit+Continue

Gaston Nunez

Distinguished Contributor
quigs
Message 3 of 24 (715 Views)

06-25-2013 12:28 AM in reply to: jacobwilliamscad

I had this problem for months and months on my 64 bt machines.  A lot of people say you can use edit and continue on 64 bit but I'm not convinced.  Switch back to 32 bit and problem solved.

My name is Martin.. :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
jacobwilliamscad
Message 4 of 24 (691 Views)

06-25-2013 07:56 AM in reply to: quigs

Thanks for the help. It definitely doesn't work, I've been trying for days. I can't go back to 32bit, the money I paid for my new computer would be a total waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any other people had this problem and have it solved?

quigs
Message 5 of 24 (688 Views)

06-25-2013 08:03 AM in reply to: jacobwilliamscad

I feel your pain.  When I upgraded our office equipment we got 64 bit everything.  i spent weeks installing Win 7; 64 but. + All related software, then BANG.  No edit and continue.  It destroyed our workflow in the office.  We tried every single option from every blog known to man for a full week.   Then we tried to accept the fact that it was gone.  In the end I had to spend another 2 weeks re-installing 32 bit and all software's.

What do you actually lose going back to 32 bit:  Your ram if it's above 4gb is null.  But you gain Edit & continue and the ability to step through code and hit break points.  I don't know about anybody else but I couldn't do my job without this feature.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I bet you end up switching back.

Good luck :smileyvery-happy:.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 24 (684 Views)

06-25-2013 08:18 AM in reply to: quigs

Hi,

>> but I bet you end up switching back

Or use VmWare or any other type of virtual pc with a 32bit Windows. So you can develop in that mode (having then edit&continue enabled) and you can test (and work) in 64bit mode on your master Windows. :smileywink:

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
quigs
Message 7 of 24 (683 Views)

06-25-2013 08:20 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

That''s a good idea.  Is there any speed loss?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 24 (679 Views)

06-25-2013 08:30 AM in reply to: quigs

Hi,

>> Is there any speed loss?

I would not work on AutoCAD (using 3D or big drawings) as the display is not that fast within the VmWare emulation.

But for developement ... I guess you won't fill the keyboard-buffer more fast than VmWare can catch it :smileywink:

Sometimes, if you do some optimization you can work within a virtual pc faster than on your host system, because you only install what you need for development, so no apps, no office, no antivirus-software, no firewall (depending on allowing the VmWare to connect to internet or not) and so on.

E.g. my Win7x64 on the host-system (including database server) needs about 2GB to have the os loaded. My VmWare os needs just 300MB :smileywink:

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
quigs
Message 9 of 24 (678 Views)

06-25-2013 08:32 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the information.

Very much appreciated.

Distinguished Mentor
gasty1001
Message 10 of 24 (672 Views)

06-25-2013 08:43 AM in reply to: quigs

Hi,

An expensive alternative is to work in a 32 bit Windows Server OS (I'm stuck in 2008 Server R1), but it's not supported, and 2014 refused to install in it, but 2008 Server has no 4GB memory limitation so it's a better platform for up to AutoCAD 2013.

Gaston Nunez

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.