Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Properties without AutoCAD installed

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
FRPT1257
645 Views, 11 Replies

Update Properties without AutoCAD installed

What is the best way using the API to update the drawing Properties without have the AutoCAD installed?

I want have a service in a server (without AutoCAD) that in background will create/update some values of the Properties.

Thanks & Regards,

Rui

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcicognani
in reply to: FRPT1257

The only way is to acquire RealDWG, a SDK that will allow to handle DWGs without AutoCAD intsalled.
The licence, however, doesn't come light...
Message 3 of 12
FRPT1257
in reply to: mcicognani

@mcicognani wrote:
The only way is to acquire RealDWG, a SDK that will allow to handle DWGs without AutoCAD intsalled.
The licence, however, doesn't come light...

I don’t want third-party libraries.

I want use Autodesk libraries. For example, Inventor have the ApprenticeServerComponent. AutoCAd does not have some similar?

Thanks & Regards,

Rui

Message 4 of 12
mcicognani

RealDWG are from Autodesk...
Message 5 of 12
khoa.ho

If you want to use Autodesk libraries rather than other third-party libraries (Teigha, CadLib...), you should have all AutoCAD assembly files installed on your machine.

Inventor Apprentice still needs Inventor installed to hook up with all its runtime libraries. RealDWG the same is the runtime of AutoCAD. Not Inventor Apprentice is included, RealDWG is not free and sold separately like AutoCAD. Autodesk needs to earn money from its most popular software to maintain its business.

It is a bit tricky that you want Autodesk libraries but don't want AutoCAD installed. Then we have DWG TrueViewer which is free and has all assemblies needed for programming (accoremgd, acdbmgd, acmgd). I did not try to program DWG TrueView yet, as I use RealDWG in my company which has all the needs. I think you have to twist DWG TrueView if you want to go with it.

Autodesk recommends users to keep all legal copyrights of their software. Illegal uses of Autodesk libraries are prohibited. There is a way to use AutoCAD like RealDWG without opening, but it may conflict with Autodesk legal.

Message 6 of 12
FRPT1257
in reply to: khoa.ho

We don't have conflicts with Autodesk legal, we are ADN and so we can use Autodesk SDK. I just want have a minimal installation since this will work in a server and don’t make sense have a full AutoCAD (or Inventor) in a server, if we just need some DLLs.

Well, I just get the reply from Autodesk and RealDWG it’s not included under ADN, so Real DWG it is not an option.

For Apprentice, apparently it don’t need Inventor installation, it is enough install Inventor View.

I will do some test trying to use AutoCAD .NET libraries and DWG TrueViewer.

Message 7 of 12
dgorsman

TrueView cannot be used to modify drawing files.

When you say "update properties" are you referring to the file properties or the drawing contents?  The former requires either AutoCAD or RealDWG (or a third-party library).  There is no way around that.  Inventor isn't any different - as you note you still need Inventor View installed, a sub-set of Inventor.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 12
FRPT1257
in reply to: dgorsman

I am referring about file properties (both for AutoCAD and Inventor files).

For Inventor I need do it for iProperties too. I do not understand why Inventor distinguish between file iProperties and Properties???
Message 9 of 12
norman.yuan

If you do not want to use RealDwg (nor other possible third party components), then, no, you cannot change drawing file content/ dwg file custom properties without AutoCAD being installed and running in the computer where your code runs. Period.

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
mcicognani
in reply to: norman.yuan

Unless...

... unless you go old style, and build your own libraries to read/write binary DWG files. I used to do it some 25 years ago, I wouldn't suggest it nowaday.

However, if you are resolute and determined, you may want to download the dwg file specification here: http://opendesign.com/files/guestdownloads/OpenDesign_Specification_for_.dwg_files.pdf

Up to version 2013 is supported, no 2015 sorry.

Message 11 of 12
Balaji_Ram
in reply to: mcicognani

Hi,

DWG format hasnt changed in AutoCAD 2015. Its still uses 2013 format.

Regards,

Balaji

Balaji
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 12 of 12
mcicognani
in reply to: Balaji_Ram

Yeap! Obviously you're right, my fault.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost