Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Autocad.NET

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
567 Views, 4 Replies

Understanding Autocad.NET

Reading a reply from Tony T. it reminds me how much of the big picture I am missing. Also Tony T. if you put out a design patterns for AutoCAD using .NET I would definitely buy it.

I recently joined ADN hoping there would be good documentation on this, and unless I am missing it there is none.

If you have a question ADN will email back answer, but what good is copying and pasting code if you do not understand it, although I usually understand the code I don't really understand the implementation or the big picture. For example:

If I want a class to be document specific should I let Autocad do the work.( I thought somewhere I read AutoCad will cache that instance with a document and create a new Instance of a class for each new Document. Do not know how or when or even this applies.) so if I make a call to the instance will it reference the instance of the document open. What if I use a Singleton Pattern and use the Open Document to change certain properties and switch documents? 

I am not asking for answers to any particular question?

Just a push in the right direction. Of course I have looked at ARXmgd.

Is reading the objectARX docs that .NET wraps a good start?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
chiefbraincloud
in reply to: Anonymous

I have definitely used the ARX documentation to figure things out that I couldn't figure out using the .NET documentation.

As far as "reading" the ARX docs, I guess that depends on how bad you need the sleep Smiley Very Happy

And, in case you haven't found it yet, I also recommend Kean Walmsley's Blog, Through the Interface.  Lot's of good stuff there.

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: chiefbraincloud

I am a single dad and in school for Electrical Engineering so I do not sleep

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Documentation is very formal descriptions of APIs, what they do,

and so on. While the developer's guide does go into underlying

theory and concepts, it's not that in-depth.

The only thing I can suggest is to download and read the contents

of this and other fora. Unfortunately, with this new forum software

and no NNTP, Autodesk has worked very hard to make that as

difficult as possible, something I find reprehensible and an outright

betrayal of its customers.

Specific question you cited as an example was discussed many

times in posts here.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

nttp is still alive and well, just not on the adesk servers and sadly no one here knows or cares as it's been unpopulated since adesk and ms pulled the plugs on their servers.

the nttp side of all these acad groups are still avail through for example eternalSeptember.org or other servers

i wish more people here still used it as it's so much better format for q/a. except the email notification of responses is kinda cool i have to admit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost