.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show WinForm with ProgressBar while doing job in command.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
GrzesiekGP
1905 Views, 6 Replies

Show WinForm with ProgressBar while doing job in command.

Hello!

I've some function in my command which calculating lots of data on dwg file.

I would like to show to user a WinForm with progress value. From the command I'm incrementing value of ProgressBar.

The problem is that my ProgressBar is incrementing to the 100% after done all the job - suddendly.

I think I can use some threading or backgroundWorker but it's hard for me and I didn't find any examples.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
norman.yuan
in reply to: GrzesiekGP

It simple and straightforwaord approch of showing progress bar on a form is to move the long processing logic into Form's code behind. However, this reduces code maintenanbility because it mixes the UI and data process code. This post might be useful to you:

http://drive-cad-with-code.blogspot.ca/2010/12/showing-progress-window-when-running.html

Message 3 of 7

Hi,

AutoCAD has a built-in progress bar feature, have you looked at that?

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2007/05/displaying_a_pr.html

Regards,

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 4 of 7
matus.brlit
in reply to: GrzesiekGP

if you don't need the UI to be responsive during the process (you don't have a Stop button, for example) then the easiest approach is moving the calculation to the UI thread

If you need the UI to be responsive, then look at this class http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.componentmodel.backgroundworker.aspx but don't forget to create thread-safe method for incrementing the progress bar.

Message 5 of 7
MGOMKD
in reply to: matus.brlit

Hi,

I have just done what you want and it works!

First you have to init the min and max value of your ProgressBar, for instance iMin=0 and iMax=object.count

Then in your loop just add a line which increment the i value of the ProgressBar.

And the most essential is to upgrade your active form with the "Refresh" method.

For instance:

'ProgressBar init'
Dim iMin As Long = 0
Dim iMax As Long

'Object Count'
Using acTrans = acDocs.MdiActiveDocument.Database.TransactionManager.StartTransaction()
      acBlkTbl = acTrans.GetObject(acDocs.MdiActiveDocument.Database.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForRead)
      acBlkTblRec = acTrans.GetObject(acBlkTbl(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), OpenMode.ForRead)
      For Each acObjId As ObjectId In acBlkTblRec
          imax=iMax+1
      Next acObjId
End Using

ProgressBar1.Minimum= iMin
ProgressBar1.Maximum= iMax

'Iterate Through objects'
Dim i as Long
Using acTrans = acDocs.MdiActiveDocument.Database.TransactionManager.StartTransaction()
      acBlkTbl = acTrans.GetObject(acDocs.MdiActiveDocument.Database.BlockTableId, OpenMode.ForRead)
      acBlkTblRec = acTrans.GetObject(acBlkTbl(BlockTableRecord.ModelSpace), OpenMode.ForRead)
      For Each acObjId As ObjectId In acBlkTblRec

'Your code'

i=i+1                  
          ProgressBar1.Value = i          
          Me.Refresh 'Me=ActiveForm'
      Next acObjId
End Using

Hope this may help you.

See you soon.

Message 6 of 7
matus.brlit
in reply to: MGOMKD

I suggest refreshing just the ProgressBar

Instead of Me.Refresh use ProgressBar1.Refresh

I had a lengthy operation and after a lot of optimalisation of the calculations, I found out, that half of the duration took the UI refreshing.

Message 7 of 7
MGOMKD
in reply to: matus.brlit

Yeah! refreshing progressing bar instead of the form, is better!

See you.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost