Did you mean: 

Save command defaults

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Dale.Bartlett
619 Views, 3 Replies

Save command defaults

Hi All, I have exhausted my searching, so here goes. I am looking for "best practice" example code for saving/re-using command default values from previous user input. Similar to lisp globals, but for C# (or VB.net); ie next time the command is run in a given session, the user's previous input is the default <>. I am currently using Properties.Settings to persist these values. Thanks, Dale 

I wouldn't say there is a definite best practice. There are several ways of doing this.

If you're not defining all your CommandClass CommandMethods as static/shared functions, then an instance of your class is created by AutoCAD for each document your command is run in. In that scenario, you can simply store your default values as member variables of your class. That way you're storing 'per document' data.

Alternatively, you can store 'per document' data using the Document.UserData property. 

Or if you want global (cross document) data, you can simply store settings in static/shared member variables for your class. 

Finally, if you're happy to use an installer that requires admin privileges to deploy your app, then you can make use of the Variable class from the Runtime namespace to create your own AutoCAD sysvars. (My recollection is that the registry data for this class has to be setup before AutoCAD launches, but you should check that).

Cheers,

Stephen Preston
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 4
ognyandim
in reply to: Dale.Bartlett

In our apps we have solved this by the default app.config of the dll.

In VS right-click on the Project -> Properties -> Settings.

That way you will store your settings and have them back when you start Acad again.

Then you insert in your code :

using [YourNamespace].Properties;

// start input gathering

PromptDoubleOptions LenghtOptions = new PromptDoubleOptions( "Enter lenght : " );
      LenghtOptions.UseDefaultValue = true;
      LenghtOptions.DefaultValue = Settings.Default.MyLenght;
      PromptDoubleResult LenghtResult = Ed.GetDouble( LenghtOptions );
      if ( LenghtResult.Status != PromptStatus.OK )
      {
        return;
      }
      Settings.Default.MyLenght= LenghtResult.Value;

Settings.Default.Save( );

Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the replies. That is exactly the information I needed. I am currently using Settings.Default.Save to persist between sessions, which seems more logical to the user rather than "start again". The code sample will help me tidy mine a little. Regards, Dale  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost