Did you mean: 

Recommendation for Autocad programming approach

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
stanmoong
1499 Views, 3 Replies

Recommendation for Autocad programming approach

Hi, I'm an experienced C# programmer but have no experience in Autocad. I'm assigned a job to develop a C# program to automate 2D drawing on mechanical parts on Autocad 2010.

I've downloaded the ObjectArx SDK and went through a simple tutorial using the NETLOAD to get the program to run in Autocad.

Also, as I'm not familiar with Autocad, I thought I might need to understand how the 2D drawing is done. -> what are the properties or how the entities/objects relate to each other. I might need to use vector or trigonemetry to draw based on some inputs. Is there anyone who is experienced in this area who can give some advice on how I should approach this?

I'm gone through tutorials online that show how a designer use Autocad, but are there any resource that gives a programmer point of view? The closest book that I found is VB.Net for Autocad 2010 -> is this good? Are there any C# books or other books that I should look at?

I'm a little overwhelmed 🙂

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

If you are drawing things, geometry is definitely going to come into play in a big way. Almost everything will be based off of points (where lines start/stop, center of arcs, etc).

The best advice I can give you is to sit down with a Cad Technician or Engineer that currently does this process manually and get a feel for what they are doing, then abstract it out so you can automate it.

The blog http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/ by Kean Walmsley is a good reference as it this Discussion Group.

The VB.Net for Autocad 2010 is a pretty good book to get the basic ideas and processes covered (and easy enough to convert to C#).

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 4
Hallex
in reply to: stanmoong

Take a look at this page as well

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%20.NET%20Developer's%20Guide/index.html?url=WS1a919382...

~'J'~

in reply to: Hallex

Thanks, Michael and Hallex for the suggestions.

I will look into the online documentation as well.

Cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost