RDS Usage and Guidelines

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
USQ
Community Visitor
805 Views, 1 Reply

RDS Usage and Guidelines

Hello,

I have a plug-in developed with the ObjectARX SDK, C#, VS2010 and the Autodesk supplied template. The plug-in is loaded into AutoCAD at start-up via a registry entry.

The plug-in is to be distributed privately and will not be submitted to the 'Marketplace' supplied by Autodesk for AutoCAD products.

I've noticed that there is a section on the AutoDesk website with regards to registering a custom prefix via the RDS scheme (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1075006)

Currently we have code within the following areas:

• Class Namespaces e.g. "MyNamespace.Utility"
  • Functions
  • Custom Commands e.g. "DEBUGDATA"

Based on the current implementation and intended usage/distribution method is symbol registration required? I ask as I am not sure what would happen if another plug-in used by the user has a "DEBUGDATA" command.

If symbol registration is required could you provide a clear example of how developer symbols should be implemented within the code?

Many thanks

USQ.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Ed.Jobe
in reply to: USQ

This blog entry should answer your questions. You don't have to use an RDS, but doing so can avoid potential conflicts. If you installed an add-in from someone else who also didn't use an RDS, then they could have a class with the same name as one of your classes and that class could have a method with the same name as one of your methods and then there would be an ambiguous condition as to which method to execute.

Ed

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost