.NET

CallMeJames
Message 1 of 3 (147 Views)
Accepted Solution

Project Structure Question

147 Views, 2 Replies
05-12-2014 07:36 AM

This has probably been asked before but I wasn't able to find much with Google.

I'm currently maintaining, fixing, and continuing an existing codebase with roughly 15 custom DLLs that contain more than 300 custom commands between them.  Is there any benefit to having multiple DLLs loaded into AutoCAD?  I know the pros and cons from the coding side but I'm wondering about how AutoCAD handles having many custom routines loaded.  Just wondering if AutoCAD would benefit by having everything in one DLL.

To my opinion having more DLLs to load or just one bigger don't make much difference to AutoCAD. It already load dozens of DLLs and ARX by itself, as you may have already noticed, one or ten more shouldn't break the thing, just take more time during startup.

Personally I'd prefer the multiple DLL solution, expecially if loaded on-demand. This will speed up AutoCAD startup and given the number of commands, there is a concrete possibilities that not all the DLLs would be loaded every day, using lesser memory.

Don't know what those 300 commands are about, but if those 15 DLLs are covering different needs or area of expertise, it's ulikely that a designer would use them all the very same day.

Distinguished Contributor
mcicognani
Message 2 of 3 (115 Views)

Re: Project Structure Question

05-13-2014 01:15 AM in reply to: CallMeJames

To my opinion having more DLLs to load or just one bigger don't make much difference to AutoCAD. It already load dozens of DLLs and ARX by itself, as you may have already noticed, one or ten more shouldn't break the thing, just take more time during startup.

Personally I'd prefer the multiple DLL solution, expecially if loaded on-demand. This will speed up AutoCAD startup and given the number of commands, there is a concrete possibilities that not all the DLLs would be loaded every day, using lesser memory.

Don't know what those 300 commands are about, but if those 15 DLLs are covering different needs or area of expertise, it's ulikely that a designer would use them all the very same day.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 3 (99 Views)

Re: Project Structure Question

05-13-2014 07:56 AM in reply to: mcicognani

There may be benefits if multiple profiles are being used, especially with third-party applications.  A tool for schematic work would be inappropriate for 3D structural modeling, for example, so being able to control what gets loaded where would be a good idea.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.