Programming language to change Autocad items

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dcvman
2836 Views, 8 Replies

Programming language to change Autocad items

Hi,

I would like to know which programming language is the best to pilot Autocad DWG files.

For instance, to have a software programmed in C, C++, C# or Java and inject automatically the length to some items in the DWG drawing.

Do you know any subject or web page to help me to start?

Regards,

Thierry

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
norman.yuan
in reply to: dcvman

It sounds like you want to access drawing data stored in *.dwg file, and it also sounds that you are not very familia with AutoCAD programming.

There are different ways to access drawing data in DWG files, depending on the situation of how and where the DWG file is accessed.

In most commom situation, you need to have AutoCAD installed. Once you have AutoCAD installed, you can access drawingdata inside AutoCAD's exe process (in-process application). This type of app can be written in various language AutoCAD supports: C++, .NET languages (VB.NET, C#, F#...), AutoLISP, AutoCAD VBA. You can also automate AutoCAD vir its COM API (.NET COM interop, or classical VB), or any COM-able language.

However, if you do not want to run AutoCAD in order to access drawing data, you need to get very expensive RealDwg SDK lisence, with which you can use C++ or .NET languages.

Message 3 of 9
dcvman
in reply to: norman.yuan

Hi norman,

Thanks a lot for your answer and you understood correctly.

My goal is to develop a calculation software of structure that I can sold or give to my customers so then they are able choose the right confiiguration of parts of the structure.

Since all my customers have Autocad but in different versions (2011, 2012, 2014 even previous ones), I need a program that works with any version modifying the autocad dimensions/drawings.

But maybe the best would be to use the oldest autocad version with the integrates programming code. BTW, my autocad version has VBA editor, how can I get the editor of other programming software?

Option 3: create Excel data sheets with some programming codes and then exports the data from Excel to Autocad.

In case I use the integrating VBA (or other) editor, is it possible to create a licence system, so then only the authorized customer would be able to use it in their computer...

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Thierry

Regards,

Thierry

Message 4 of 9
techsoft3d
in reply to: norman.yuan

Norman -

You're correct about the various options for Thierry. I'd just like to comment on the RealDWG toolkit being expensive. It used to be quite expensive some years ago. The toolkit is more affordable today, especially if you're writing a commercial application.

It's actually only $5000 for the 1st year and $2500 for the 2nd and further years. You'll always have the latest versions and upgrades of proprietary software for unlimited distribution, without any royalties - in my mind that's a complete steal! Well, at least in comparison with other CAD-readers out there, it's a bargain.

Depending on the purpose and intended use, some people may still consider it expensive though. I just wanted to add this information since you are highly reputable member of this forum, so other members might get the notion that RealDWG is not an option due to high costs.

Thanks,
Paavo

Message 5 of 9
khoa.ho
in reply to: techsoft3d

One vote for RealDWG. I am working with it everyday and it is a "real" DWG file processing from Autodesk. If you consider AutoCAD over alternatives, RealDWG is the same thing. RealDWG has everything you need from AutoCAD except the Windows interface.

RealDWG is heavy and has slower performance to work on the web server. The cost is a little high comparing to other notable CAD-reader libraries but you pay for what you get. This is a complete solution for commercial advanced CAD applications.

Depending on the scale of your application and budget, you can decide which CAD library to go.

Message 6 of 9
cadcoke5
in reply to: khoa.ho

I am not certain of the original poster's end purpose, but perhaps we have the same end goals.  

I am searching for a solution that will allow a customer to go to our web site, and after choosing some options, obtain a custom part drawing and perhaps even place an order.  In essence this would be a front-end for driving an AutoCAD parametric model.  I recall seeing advertisements for software like this, perhps 20 years ago or more.  But, I have not been able for find one now.

I have seen a demonstration of a program by Tacton, that works with SolidWorks to do this, but 2D drawings are really sufficient for our product. So, I am hoping to find an AutoCAD solution.

Any suggestions?

Message 7 of 9
cadcoke5
in reply to: cadcoke5

I think I findally came across the product like what I have been searching for.  It has been difficult since the search terms I use are common terms on the internet. As Autodesk's product lineup has increased, with some products having similar functions, it is difficult to sort them out.

It seems that Configurator 360 is what I was searching for. However, since it seems to be based on Autodesk hosting the design, it is not attractive to us. So, I am still searching for a solution   I hope my difficulties finding those applications have not been because that Autodesk put them out of business when it started competing with them.

Message 8 of 9
khoa.ho

I am working on the new web front-end platform to drive AutoCAD, which may be the one you are looking for. This solution will be ready before Autodesk University 2014.

You can make your own solution by making a web application with RealDWG backend. The web front-end will do data input, the RealDWG back-end will process data output.

Message 9 of 9
MathiasStorm

Hi Cadcoke5,

We (Tacton) now has an integration towards Autodesk Inventor available if you are still searching? 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost