.NET

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 1 of 18 (550 Views)
Accepted Solution

Program crashes when trying to access modelspace

550 Views, 17 Replies
01-29-2012 05:04 PM

I have a program where I am inserting blocks at specific points in model space.  I have successfully been able to create a subroutine that will accept a block name, a point3D Location and a layer name and and insert the specified block at the specified location on the specified layer.  What I need to do now is to cycle through model space and find all of the pipe objects in model space.  I then find the endpoint of each pipe and insert a block at that location.  The problem that I am having is that the program crashes when I try to find the objectid of modelspace.  I am using the technique discussed in this thread by Jeffrey_H.

VB.NET Access to Styles

Below is the code that I am trying to get to work.

'Test Command to insert the some blocks into the drawing
        <CommandMethod("TrimbleTestBlocks")> _
        Public Sub TrimbleTestBlocks()

'Get the editor object
            Dim doc = AcApp.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument
            Dim db = doc.Database
            Dim ed = doc.Editor

Try

'Get Model Space Block Table Record
                Dim mdlspace As BlockTableRecord = SymbolUtilityServices.GetBlockModelSpaceId(db).GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)

'Start the transaction
                Using tm As Transaction = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction

'Cycle through each object in modelspace
                    For Each objid As ObjectId In mdlspace

'If the object is a Pipe Object then add a block to the end of it
                        If objid.ObjectClass.Name = "AecdbPipe" Then

'At this point we know the object is a pipe so create a reference to it.
                            Dim mpipe As Pipe = tm.GetObject(objid, OpenMode.ForRead, True)

'Get the endpoint of the pipe
                            Dim PipeEndpoint As Point3d = mpipe.EndPoint

'Insert the block at the endpoint of the pipe
                            TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS250, PipeEndpoint, HYD250)

End If
                    Next

End Using

Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(ex.Message)
            End Try

'TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS250, New Point3D(0, 0, 0), HYD250)
            'TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS375, New Point3d(0, 10, 0), HYD375)
            'TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS500, New Point3d(0, 20, 0), HYD500)
            'TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS625, New Point3d(0, 30, 0), HYD625)
            'TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS750, New Point3d(0, 40, 0), HYD750)
            'TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS875, New Point3d(0, 50, 0), HYD875)
            'TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS875, New Point3d(50, 50, 50), HYD875)

End Sub

This is the line that crashes on me

Dim mdlspace As BlockTableRecord = SymbolUtilityServices.GetBlockModelSpaceId(db).GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is crashing the program?  I just started programming dotnet this weekend and my head is starting to explode.

My end goal is to cycle through every pipe in model space.  If the pipe belongs to a specified system definition then find the pipe size and insert a corresponding block on the endpoint of the pipe.  I then want to export the blocks to a new drawing to be imported into a trimble unit for locating inserts on a deck. 

Thanks for any help in advance.

Keith Brown AutoCAD MEP BLOG | RSS Feed
AutoCAD MEP 2014 | Revit 2014 | EastCoast CAD/CAM V6.1 | Visual Studio 2013
────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!

I found the problem.  The line that was causing the crash was outside the umbrella of the transaction.  As soon as I moved it inside the transaction block of code it stopped crashing but I still have some logic errors. 

Brent, I am taking care of opening model space for write inside of the subroutine that adds the block.

Distinguished Contributor
Artvegas
Message 2 of 18 (537 Views)

Re: Program crashes when trying to access modelspace

01-29-2012 06:04 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Hi,

I don't think that the SymbolUtilityServices.GetBlockModelSpaceId() function is the officially recommended way to obtain model space.

Check out the following link from the AutoCAD .NET Developer's Guide:
http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/browse#WS73099cc142f48755f2fc9df120970276f7a33....

I think this is what you are looking for. It gives you the recommended method for iterating entities in model space with samples.

Hope this helps.
Art

Mentor
BrentBurgess1980
Message 3 of 18 (533 Views)

01-29-2012 06:07 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

You are trying to add blocks into model space when it is only opened for read. Change it to " OpenMode.ForWrite"

HTH

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 4 of 18 (529 Views)

01-29-2012 06:22 PM in reply to: BrentBurgess1980

I found the problem.  The line that was causing the crash was outside the umbrella of the transaction.  As soon as I moved it inside the transaction block of code it stopped crashing but I still have some logic errors. 

Brent, I am taking care of opening model space for write inside of the subroutine that adds the block.

⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 5 of 18 (526 Views)

01-29-2012 06:42 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

I had also forgotten to commit the transaction when I was finished iterating through all of the pipes in a drawing.  The code now works as written but I am having a problem figuring out how to find the pipe system definition, routing preference, and the pipe size.  I need that information to figure out which block to add to the end of the pipe.  Does anyone know how to access this information?  They are not properties of the pipe object.

Below is the code that worked as expected.

'Test Command to insert the some blocks into the drawing
        <CommandMethod("TrimbleTestBlocks")> _
        Public Sub TrimbleTestBlocks()

'Get the editor object
            Dim doc = AcApp.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument
            Dim db = doc.Database
            Dim ed = doc.Editor

Try

'Start the transaction
                Using tm As Transaction = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction

'Cycle through each object in modelspace
                    For Each objid As ObjectId In mdlspace

'If the object is a Pipe Object then add a block to the end of it
                        If objid.ObjectClass.Name = "AecbDbPipe" Then

'At this point we know the object is a pipe so create a reference to it.
                            Dim mpipe As Pipe = tm.GetObject(objid, OpenMode.ForRead, True)

'Get the endpoint of the pipe
                            Dim PipeEndpoint As Point3d = mpipe.EndPoint

'Insert the block at the endpoint of the pipe
                            TrimbleInsertBlockAtPoint(INS250, PipeEndpoint, HYD250)

'Now that we have added a block to a pipe, write a message to the command line
                            ed.WriteMessage("Block added at " & PipeEndpoint.ToString & vbLf)

End If

Next

'Commit the transaction
                    tm.Commit()

End Using

'Catch any exceptions and generate a generic message to the command line
            Catch ex As Exception
                ed.WriteMessage("There was an error adding the blocks to the drawing..." & vbLf)
            End Try

End Sub

Mentor
BrentBurgess1980
Message 6 of 18 (518 Views)

01-29-2012 07:13 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Just a thought - I haven't dealt with it much, but have you tried attaching XData to your pipes/blocks then accessing it as needed?

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 7 of 18 (515 Views)

01-29-2012 07:18 PM in reply to: BrentBurgess1980

I guess I should have mentioned that I was using Autocad MEP.  So the pipes are already in the drawing and they already have the information attached to them.  I just have no idea on how to read it.  There is not alot of information on the API for Autocad MEP or Autocad Architectural so I am fumbling around alot trying to figure out how to do things.  So far everything I have done is a pretty straight forward method and is outlined in the Autocad API documentation.  I hit the wall once I came to trying to read the information attached to the piping objects.

Valued Mentor
cadMeUp
Message 8 of 18 (508 Views)

01-29-2012 07:31 PM in reply to: Keith.Brown

I'm assuming you are using AutoCAD MEP versions 2009 thru 2012?, in the MEP program installation folder, you can find quite a few sample NET projects for MEP under the 'Sample\VB.NET' folder or 'Sample\CS.NET' folder. Be sure to check out the 'ReadMe.txt' files for each project. You should be able to find a sample that shows how to get to the info you want.

Maybe check out the code in the samples:

MepUtilities (has a function 'GetPartSizeName()' in the DataUtilities.vb code file)

ExportToExcel

GetEngineeringData

SystemDefs

If you can't find the sample files in your program folder there are zip files attached of the samples for 2010, 2011, & 2012.

*Expert Elite*
Keith.Brown
Message 9 of 18 (505 Views)

01-29-2012 07:50 PM in reply to: cadMeUp

Thanks for the information cadMeUp.  I did look through those but I will go through them again and see if i missed anything.  The system definations examples show how to print out all of the system defintions in the drawing but unless I am missing something, they dont show how to find out what the system defintion is for an object in the drawing.  The getpartsizename() has to do with quering a catalog but maybe I can use the same method to find the information about the part.  If I can establish which catalog the part came from then query the catalog with the part guid, i might be able to get the desired information.  It just seems that it is going the long way around to find the information that should already be in the database.  Using that method, what would happen if the catalog no longer exists? or isnt loaded?

I think that some of the answer lies in the excel example.  They are accessing some of the information that is attached to the part but not the system definition or the routing preference.  I think I can grab the pipe size from this information though.  Thanks again for reminding me to look here.  Now I just need to roll up my sleeves and figure out what they are doing.

Valued Mentor
cadMeUp
Message 10 of 18 (465 Views)

01-31-2012 05:30 AM in reply to: Keith.Brown

Have a look at the attached code file for VS 2008 C#, MEP 2012...

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.