.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populating block letters with blocks that are evenly spaced.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rproctor
402 Views, 2 Replies

Populating block letters with blocks that are evenly spaced.

I’m not asking for code; but just would like to know if my objective is possible in .net.
I’ve worked in .net and also in autocad and in autocad vba, but have no autocad.net experience.

Objective:
I need to automate the process of populating letters…(for this example see my attached pic of the letter “O”)
with blocks that are spaced as evenly as possible within the inner and outer parameter of the letter.

In autocad, I can use the offset command to align and space my blocks so that they align with the outer parameter of the letter; however, as you can see in the pic that the inner parameter is an ellipse and therefore, I reach a point in my offset where it’s not spacing evenly anymore.

Does anyone know if my objective is possible in .net? Does anyone have ideas on what methods, properties etc. I can research for providing my objective in .net? Right now, I just would like to explore if it's possible and if so, how might it be possible.

thanks,
Proctor
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: rproctor

It depends on what your letter is. Is it actually a character in some TEXT/MTEXT, or is it AutoCAD geometry?

If it is AutoCAD geometry, yes it is possible, but may not be simple. You might start by using a grid with your insertions at each intersection, and then for each of them you would determine if the insertion's geometry is entirely or partially within the region formed by the character geometry, and eliminate those that are not entirely within the region.

Unfortunately, AutoCAD's published APIs are so pathetically weak (for example, they fail to make common operations like point/geometry classfication easily available at a higher level), that none of this is simple or trivial.

--
http://www.caddzone.com

AcadXTabs: MDI Document Tabs for AutoCAD 2008
Supporting AutoCAD 2000 through 2008
http://www.acadxtabs.com

wrote in message news:5829931@discussion.autodesk.com...
I’m not asking for code; but just would like to know if my objective is possible in .net.
I’ve worked in .net and also in autocad and in autocad vba, but have no autocad.net experience.

Objective:
I need to automate the process of populating letters…(for this example see my attached pic of the letter “O”)
with blocks that are spaced as evenly as possible within the inner and outer parameter of the letter.

In autocad, I can use the offse
t command to align and space my blocks so that they align with the outer parameter of the letter; however, as you can see in the pic that the inner parameter is an ellipse and therefore, I reach a point in my offset where it’s not spacing evenly anymore.

Does anyone know if my objective is possible in .net? Does anyone have ideas on what methods, properties etc. I can research for providing my objective in .net? Right now, I just would like to explore if it's possible and if
so, how might it be possible.

thanks,
Proctor
Message 3 of 3
rproctor
in reply to: rproctor

Thank you for your reply.
The text will always be coming in as a wmf and therefore, they will be 2Dpolys.
Can I use your idea for a grid w/ this?

The reason I wanted to go w/ .net is because my company would eventually like to use this via the web.... from other posts, I've realized that working w/ .net for autocad is much more difficult than ... vba and therefore, gives me much to consider. I recently purchased the one and only book I've been able to find regarding .net programming for autocad "VB.net programming for autoCad Customization"
and I've been working my way through it.

anyway, thanks again for your reply. I appreciate any additional thoughts you may have for me ....

Proctor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost