Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point positions in a Point Cloud

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
etretriste
549 Views, 5 Replies

Point positions in a Point Cloud

Does anybody know how to access the positions of every points in pointcloud(.pcg files)?

Isn't it available in ObjectARX.NET 2012?or should I write my own warpper for .NET?

I appreciate the help.  Thanks!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi,

imho it does not make sense to crosspost 4 times (in the same forum) if you didn't get an answer to your first question.

You may answer yourself to your first post just to push it up. But please don't feed the forum every week with the same question.

For me I can't answer that questions as I see the following open points:

a) I didn't find any .net-based lib for point-clouds

b) I would guess you would need a huge amouont of memory or you do research for how to work with extremly compressed data

c) I would check FARO or similar developer-forums

d) last but not least it would be a good point to be more specific about what you want to do. I don't think that your goal is to get unfiltered access to 2.000.000.000 points.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, alfred!

Cause I'm new to here and I really feel anxious about that problem.

I'll push it up next time..

I just find a way to get the file path(e.g. X:\XXX\XX.pcg), the total counts of points, Min(x,y,z), Max(x,y,z), etc.

But what should I do if I want to clip the point cloud with a rectangle, or if I want to render the points in different colors by height.

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

>> But what should I do if I want to clip the point cloud with a rectangle,

>> or if I want to render the points in different colors by height.

I can't tell you what to do at the moment as I don't see the library the creates access to pointclouds right now.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6

I've just found a post about it 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/NET/Points-in-a-Point-Cloud/m-p/2657116

“What I know is, that the Point Cloud API is at the moment only as ObjectARX API available. So you have to write your own wrapper for .NET”

Maybe it remains unavailable in ObjectARX.NET 2012.

I guess it probably available in c++, but I'm not familiar with writing my own warpper for .NET.

Well, thanks anyway.

I'll check similar developer-forums.

Message 6 of 6
adadnet
in reply to: etretriste

(if i wasn't already, i've just become an admirer of alf's patience.) talking about forums though, kean walmsley (of all people) has been writing about point clouds here:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/point-clouds/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost