Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
SRSDS
412 Views, 1 Reply

Overrules

Hi,

I'm thinking about creating an application using overrules but have no experience with them and a few questions.

Can I allow the custom entittes to be snapable? I've opened the thermometer examle and I can't snap onto the entities added. 

If I have a drawing with several hundred overrules will it take much longer to open each time as it has to populate the drawing with the overrules.

Overrules have been around for several years but I can't see too many questions on the forum aboutit. I'm also wondering if there is a reason for this.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
RichardCammeray
in reply to: SRSDS

I have done ew projects using overrule API and I think the main problem why it is no so popular is that overruled entities are dependent on loaded app using overrule.
AutoCAD without overruling app will display just standard entity. Additionally overruled entity did not change object type so user can still see on properties palette say Line and it can be confusing (but you can overrule LIST result).
You can overrule snapping, by adding definition of snapping points, but It does not matter what entities you have added by overrule draw method. For example you can add snapping points at 1/4 of the line.
If you add more entities to overruled entity it can slow regeneration of view. The file size remains the same but AutoCAD has to draw more entities on screen.

I decided not to use overrule to draw custom entity but rather create anonymous blocks and than using overruled gripping points.

There are good examples of overrule on App Exchage OsnapPalette for snapping overrule and AutoRebar for draw overrule (or at least I think developers used overrule)

Thanks

Richard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost