.NET

Reply
Contributor
19 Posts
0 Kudos
Registered: ‎04-20-2006
Post 1 of 5

ObjectARX .NET C# programming book

670 Views, 4 Replies
05-03-2006 10:37 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to ObjectARX .NET but I already did some works about AutoCAD customizations using VBA. Now I want to migrate into ObjectARX .NET using C#. I know C#, just want to get a good start familiarizing myself into ObjectARX .NET. So i'm asking your help to give me your recommendations what is a good book to study ObjectARX .NET programming.

Re: ObjectARX .NET C# programming book

05-03-2006 10:46 AM in reply to: GStevens
GStevens wrote:
> Hello everyone. I'm new to ObjectARX .NET but I already did some works about AutoCAD customizations using VBA. Now I want to migrate into ObjectARX .NET using C#. I know C#, just want to get a good start familiarizing myself into ObjectARX .NET. So i'm asking your help to give me your recommendations what is a good book to study ObjectARX .NET programming.

Thats easy. There is none. And the examples are not the best either.
*J. Daniel Smith
Post 3 of 5

Re: ObjectARX .NET C# programming book

05-03-2006 02:10 PM in reply to: GStevens
Putting that in context a bit: the .NET wrappers for ObjectARX more-or-less
assume you're familiar with using ObjectARX from C++. The .NET wrappers
aren't necessarily designed for someone coming from VBA, rather the intent
is .NET-style interface to traditional ObjectARX.

Much of the fairly extensive documentation on ObjectARX programming with C++
applies to the .NET wrappers as well. Perhaps the most significant
differences are: 1) you can't create custom objects in .NET and 2) generally
things are a bit easier in .NET compared to native C++.

Dan

"perry" wrote in message
news:5162712@discussion.autodesk.com...
GStevens wrote:
> Hello everyone. I'm new to ObjectARX .NET but I already did some works
> about AutoCAD customizations using VBA. Now I want to migrate into
> ObjectARX .NET using C#. I know C#, just want to get a good start
> familiarizing myself into ObjectARX .NET. So i'm asking your help to give
> me your recommendations what is a good book to study ObjectARX .NET
> programming.

Thats easy. There is none. And the examples are not the best either.

Re: ObjectARX .NET C# programming book

08-18-2007 07:45 PM in reply to: GStevens
Uh-oh! I am now working my way through the examples from Autodesk in
C#. Their code doesn't work, and I am having lots of trouble finding
the bugs, but learning much along the way.

But you say that we cannot create custom objects with dot net? I need
to create custom objects, and so that is why I am learning this!

Is this true in Acad2007 and VS2005? Am I wasting time?

Thank you,
- Geoff

On Wed, 3 May 2006 21:10:07 +0000, J. Daniel Smith
wrote:

>Putting that in context a bit: the .NET wrappers for ObjectARX more-or-less
>assume you're familiar with using ObjectARX from C++. The .NET wrappers
>aren't necessarily designed for someone coming from VBA, rather the intent
>is .NET-style interface to traditional ObjectARX.
>
>Much of the fairly extensive documentation on ObjectARX programming with C++
>applies to the .NET wrappers as well. Perhaps the most significant
>differences are: 1) you can't create custom objects in .NET and 2) generally
>things are a bit easier in .NET compared to native C++.
>
> Dan
>
*Norman Yuan
Post 5 of 5

Re: ObjectARX .NET C# programming book

08-19-2007 07:08 AM in reply to: GStevens
It is true that you cannot create custom Acad object with ObjectARX .NET
API, as you do with pure ObjectARX. It may be supported in future version,
but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

If creating custom object is your only reason to learn .NET API, you'd
better hold it for unknown lengthy period. However, if you also do generic
Acad programming, you'd find it is worth the effort of learning. Especially
when you use an Acad vertical product, such as Acad Map (do not know
others), .NET API provides a lot more access to Acad Map than COM API.


"GeoffC" wrote in message
news:5694145@discussion.autodesk.com...
Uh-oh! I am now working my way through the examples from Autodesk in
C#. Their code doesn't work, and I am having lots of trouble finding
the bugs, but learning much along the way.

But you say that we cannot create custom objects with dot net? I need
to create custom objects, and so that is why I am learning this!

Is this true in Acad2007 and VS2005? Am I wasting time?

Thank you,
- Geoff

On Wed, 3 May 2006 21:10:07 +0000, J. Daniel Smith
wrote:

>Putting that in context a bit: the .NET wrappers for ObjectARX more-or-less
>assume you're familiar with using ObjectARX from C++. The .NET wrappers
>aren't necessarily designed for someone coming from VBA, rather the intent
>is .NET-style interface to traditional ObjectARX.
>
>Much of the fairly extensive documentation on ObjectARX programming with
>C++
>applies to the .NET wrappers as well. Perhaps the most significant
>differences are: 1) you can't create custom objects in .NET and 2)
>generally
>things are a bit easier in .NET compared to native C++.
>
> Dan
>
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the future of the Autodesk Community? To participate in this brief usability study, please click here. Your time and input is greatly appreciated!