.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET Wizards for AutoCAD 2014 and Windows 7?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ltmullen
1752 Views, 6 Replies

.NET Wizards for AutoCAD 2014 and Windows 7?

I work for a civil engineering firm and I'm trying to learn how to use .NET to write plug-ins to do things more efficiently.

In going through the process of installing the things I need according to Autodesk's online guide, though, I ran into a funny issue...I apparently need to download an Autocad .NET Wizards package. The available packages are either AutoCAD 2014/Visual Studio 2012 or AutoCAD 2013/Visual Studio 2010. My company has Windows 7, so I am unable to download Visual Studio 2012 as it is currently only compatible with Windows 8.

So...what am I supposed to do? I tried downloading and installing the AutoCAD 2013/Visual Studio 2010 package, and it kind of just froze during installation and didn't do anything.

Has anyone else found a workaround/solution for this? Or am I the only one who wants to use .NET with AutoCAD 2014 running on Windows 7?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BlackBox_
in reply to: ltmullen

Welcome to the Autodesk forums!

Firstly, I think you meant to post this thread in the .NET forum here, instead of the LISP forum... Perhaps a DA will be along shortly to move it for us. :thumbsup:

In any event, to your issue... I'm unsure what may have caused your installation error with the AutoCAD .NET Wizard. Did you try installing the latest version from here

Also FWIW, I'm running Windows 7 on my dev laptop, and have both Visual Studio 2010 Express, and Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop installed, and both work just fine AFAIK. 

Hope this helps (HTH).

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 3 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: BlackBox_

The wizards can be helpful but are certainly not mandatory for development work.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 7
ltmullen

Well, I don't even really know how, but eventually I got it to work. Seems like moving around some template files might have done it, or it might have just been the fact that I ran the installer again but without an antivirus software enabled. I still have this weird issue where I have to manually reload the .dll assemblies once I am in Visual Basic or else I get errors...but I can live with that I guess.

Message 5 of 7
CADbloke

@ltmullen wrote:

My company has Windows 7, so I am unable to download Visual Studio 2012 as it is currently only compatible with Windows 8.

Who told you that? VS 2012 runs fine on Windows 7. Windows 8 wasn't even invented when VS 2012 came out.

Scroll to the bottom of http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-professional-2012

Even the unreleased (still in RC)  VS 2013 runs in Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/2013-editions#d-professional

- - - - - - -
working on all sorts of things including www.tvCAD.tv & www.CADreplace.com
Message 6 of 7
Keith.Brown
in reply to: CADbloke

@cadbloke wrote:
Who told you that? VS 2012 runs fine on Windows 7. Windows 8 wasn't even invented when VS 2012 came out.

I read this and laughed out loud a little bit.  Actually Windows 8 and VS 2012 were both released on August 1st 2012 to manufacturing.  They were released to the public a couple weeks later.

Message 7 of 7
CADbloke
in reply to: Keith.Brown

@Keith.Brown wrote:
Actually Windows 8 and VS 2012 were both released on August 1st 2012 to manufacturing.  They were released to the public a couple weeks later.

Doh! Old age, fading memory. Even the preview releases were within days of each other  - Win 8 beat Visual Studio 2012 by 3 days.

I guess my memory is biased in that I like VS 2012 - Win 8, not so much.

- - - - - - -
working on all sorts of things including www.tvCAD.tv & www.CADreplace.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost