.NET

Contributor
civil3d.net
Message 1 of 3 (205 Views)

.net speed vs ARX, VBA, LISP

205 Views, 2 Replies
08-30-2006 07:54 AM
Does anyone have any information/benchmarks of how .net customizatoin would rank in the following graph?

thanks in advance.

image is from 2005 AU handout:

An Overview of VBA in AutoCAD® 2006
This course CP22-2 presents an overview of how VBA fits into the customization scheme in AutoCAD 2006.
*Alexander Rivilis
Message 2 of 3 (205 Views)

Re: .net speed vs ARX, VBA, LISP

08-30-2006 08:23 AM in reply to: civil3d.net
Hi, civil3d.net!

cn> Does anyone have any information/benchmarks of how .net customizatoin
cn> would rank in the following graph?
I did not any tests but think that .NET-appliction inprocess (dll) is more quickly then VBA, but outprocess (exe)
is as quick as VB6

Best Regards,
Alexander Rivilis.
Distinguished Contributor
ChrisArps
Message 3 of 3 (205 Views)

Re: .net speed vs ARX, VBA, LISP

09-01-2006 11:55 AM in reply to: civil3d.net
I don't have any benchmarks, but I do customize ADT using Lisp, VBA, VB6, C++, and vb.net.

That graph is very misleading, vb6 compiled as an early bound dll will run much faster than VBA. The graph is showing VB6 as late bound which is dumb usage of vb.

Dotnet is faster than VB early bound, but slower than objectARX due to marshaling of the parameters and return values.

I actually started a benchmark program, but I did the vb.net version first and it ran so fast I was satisfied. The only thing I have seen in dotnet that runs slow is the jig code. I would stick to C++ for those interactive loops that have to draw a lot.

Chris Arps
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.