Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET, Automation and AcCtrl.dll

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
joe_ferry
497 Views, 0 Replies

.NET, Automation and AcCtrl.dll

From what I can tell, AutoCAD used to have an embeddable control (AcCtrl.dll) that permitted the creation of a COM or .NET program that “automated” AutoCAD. While add-ins are launched from a running instance of AutoCAD, this control permitted AutoCAD to be launched from within another running program.

The TrueView control is similar to this, but apparently it is for viewing only, and does not expose the entire AutoCAD object model in the same way the previous control did. While AcCtrl.dll still ships with AutoCAD, I cannot register it with the registry (Regsrv32.exe). I am wondering if this functionality was disabled because of AutoCAD OEM, which sounds like the separate licensing of this programmatic functionality.

That is my question, but if you want to understand the project I am working on, you may choose to read further:

I am a software developer working for a consulting company. We have a client that is in the business of identifying building code compliance violations for their clients in several regulated areas.

Over ten years ago, they commissioned the development of software that has served them well until now; however, they are looking to upgrade the functionality of the software. We will be rewriting the software to include this additional functionality unless we can identify existing software which can satisfy their needs, with or without modification. Their current software has the following characteristics:

1. Imports AutoCAD drawings of building schematics into Corel Draw images with separate layers showing different aspects of the construction.

2. Has a customizable database of violations specific to certain code categories and clients.

3. Permits a person to go on site with a tablet computer that displays the Corel image and electronically mark the image with violations that are annotated in a database with at least the following:

1. Building

2. Floor

3. Room

4. Type of violation

5. Comment

4. Permits the code violations keyed on the image to be exported to a spreadsheet-like format. Certain industries for which they work have very specific formats for listing the spreadsheet-like information. The current software is not as customizable as desired, and formatting the output is not automatic.

5. The resulting marked-up images are exported either as Corel images or PDFs, not AutoCAD drawings.

The desired software will permit the above actions as well as:

1. Exporting the final diagrams, marked up with database-keyed violations, to an AutoCAD format, or to a format that can be automatically transformed to an AutoCAD format.

2. Creation of highly-customized spreadsheet-like formats that can vary for different projects, clients and industries.

I have contacted several sellers of punchlist programs. These programs look like they are excellent, but don’t meet my requirements in that they do not deal with AutoCAD formats and do not have customizable databases. The companies are also unwilling to produce a customized version of their programs.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost