Active Contributor
btmsoftware
Message 1 of 3 (268 Views)
Accepted Solution

.NET Add-ins and versions compatibility

268 Views, 2 Replies
03-06-2013 06:17 AM

Hi there.

Has anybody any doc/info regarding .NET add-ins compatiblity across the versions of AutoCAD.

Basically, the story is that we're starting to port our VBA stuff into .NET Add-ins

The issue is that we have customers using from AutoCAD 2008 up to 2013

Everything before 2010 will stay VBA but we'd like to replave VBA starting at 2010

So the question is:

If I write an AutoCAD Add-in in 2010, will it work in 2011 and later ? or should westart in 2011.... Or do we need to recompile for every version of AutoCAD ?

A Ny idea/tip/info is welcomed

Hi,

From my side, I would say that there is no compatibility issues with version 2007 to 2012 in pure. NET (only very few classes have changed with version 2010) provided that the applications do not use later versions features. No recompilation is necessary. Things may be different for applications using the COM API, or P/Invoking some unmanaged methods.
By cons, there is a real break compatibility with version 2013 and applications must be recompiled with rarely a few changes in the codes.
*Expert Elite*
arcticad
Message 2 of 3 (245 Views)

Re: .NET Add-ins and versions compatibility

03-06-2013 07:31 AM in reply to: btmsoftware

AutoCAD breaks Binary compatability every three versions and you will need to recompile your application with the current version.

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2009/02/autocad-2010-drawing-file-api-format-compatibili...
http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2012/03/migrating-net-applications-to...

---------------------------

(defun botsbuildbots() (botsbuildbots))
*Expert Elite*
_gile
Message 3 of 3 (227 Views)

Re: .NET Add-ins and versions compatibility

03-06-2013 10:21 AM in reply to: arcticad

Hi,

From my side, I would say that there is no compatibility issues with version 2007 to 2012 in pure. NET (only very few classes have changed with version 2010) provided that the applications do not use later versions features. No recompilation is necessary. Things may be different for applications using the COM API, or P/Invoking some unmanaged methods.
By cons, there is a real break compatibility with version 2013 and applications must be recompiled with rarely a few changes in the codes.
Gilles Chanteau
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.