Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link a help file to a ribbon button

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jaboone
1099 Views, 10 Replies

Link a help file to a ribbon button

I have been trying to understand how to get from a ***.docx file to ***.xaml and then link that into my project.

Is it a simple matter of saving a html somehow or am I missing the boat?

Learning as I go
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: jaboone

You have to create a XAML file which contains your help content.  Each XAML file can contain many different help topics to link to, or you can create multiple files.  The formatting is kinda-sorta XHTML, so I don't think you can go directly from DOCx to XAML.  There should be a *very* brief example of XAML formatting in the AutoCAD customization help.  From experimenting most of the XAML coding doesn't apply to the extended help.

One REALLY big problem you need to be aware of: once you assign that XAML extended help file, it won't let you "blank it out" later.  You will need to create a new command in the CUIx.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 11
jaboone
in reply to: dgorsman

So what is the solution for creating xaml when I have no idea how to create xml or the like.  I did notice that excel can export to xml, so is it the same to say to write help files in Excel then export to xml and rename it as xaml?  This sounds very ridiculas to do.

Learning as I go
Message 4 of 11
dgorsman

Not even close.  XAML is a language, similar as you would be programming using C# but the syntax is XML.  Its likely related to how the Ribbon is built to operate, where passing in XAML-coded references is easier to render in the extended help pop-up than say HTML.

A quick search finds the reference I was referring to: Create Tooltips and Extended Help for Commands

And the MS XAML reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc189054(v=vs.95).aspx

Message 5 of 11
Balaji_Ram

Hi,

I do not find a direct way to convert the .docx to a xaml that can be used as extended help inside AutoCAD.

In the extended help content, the <stackpanel>...</stackpanel> portion of it can be independently tested on a WPF user control inside Visual Studio and then copied to the extended help.

Balaji
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 6 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: Balaji_Ram

To be specific, Visual Studio Web Developer seems to be the best product for XAML work.

Are there any plans to have more extensive examples/coding protocols for XAML extended help in AutoCAD?  The one example I can find isn't very helpful, and a lot of "pure" XAML coding doesn't seem to work properly.  And we *REALLY* need to be able to blank-out that XAML file name to detach it from the command.

Message 7 of 11
Balaji_Ram

I am not aware of any plans to use Visual Studio Web Developer for creating help XAML for AutoCAD.

In my opinion the XAML help file for AutoCAD is a small subset of the full fledged XAML syntax.

The XAML help provided in AutoCAD documentation is the only source that I am aware of.

Balaji

Message 8 of 11
jaboone
in reply to: Balaji_Ram

From what I am seeing a xaml is not required because none of the projects I download have a xaml files attached and none of the cui have xaml referances or code in them.

The biggest problem to doing this is finding an xaml editor.

I receieved my app submitision back as a msi package and have no idea where those file installed to.  Can someone please explain where the files install to so I can get a better grip on what is going on.

Learning as I go
Message 9 of 11
jaboone

I found the directory that appears to be the same as I submitted.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\YourAppName.bundle

Learning as I go
Message 10 of 11
jaboone

Another app folder created is:  This was for some blocks files...

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Downloaded Content

When running my app, I can not seem to have any ribbons loaded and thus can't run any apps from other people either.  After the app is loaded from a msi, there is no ribbon visible except something that pulls up a help file.  That doesn't do any good.  What do I have to do to automatically load the app ribbon I just installed?

Learning as I go
Message 11 of 11
Balaji_Ram

Hi James,

Is this behavior specific to your bundle ?

You can try downloading any of the free plugins from Autodesk available in the exchange store. All of them have ribbon panels that get added to the Plugins tab which should appear just after installing. 

If it is specific to your plugin, can you please share a bundle without any of your confidential info ?

Balaji

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost