.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a downside to repeated netloading via Lisp?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
aksaks
480 Views, 4 Replies

Is there a downside to repeated netloading via Lisp?

A simple Lisp function can netload a .NET app.  Invoking the Lisp function every time the app is needed is a brute force method to ensure the app is loaded.  Apparently no errors are generated by subsequent netreloads. Unlike more sophisticated methods, this method does not involve any registry management and very easy to implement. Is there any downside to repeatedly netloading an already loaded app? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MarkPendergraft
in reply to: aksaks

I don't think there is much of a downside.  That being said, I netload all the DLL's I use in a single lisp routine and just add that to the startup suite under AppLoad.  I'm sure there is a more elegant way to do things, especially in 2012 with the addition of the new loading procedures.....  However, it's simple, effective and only loads the libraries once.

-Mark

Message 3 of 5
aksaks
in reply to: MarkPendergraft

I did not want do do it en masse automatically for each dwg because most of these applications are not fully mature yet. I like to be able to run a newly modified version with the least amount of additional effort. What is the 2012 "new loading proceedure" you are refering to that was not already possible in 2010?

aks

Message 4 of 5
MarkPendergraft
in reply to: aksaks

It's called Autoloader, here is a link to a video about it on Through-The-Interface:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2011/05/adn-devcast-episode-6-autoloa...

I don't know a whole lot about it, as my company is stuck using 2011.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to load it all at the beginning.  I have 2 sets of code and 2 lisp expressions on my machine.  One is the final code that is distributed to everyone, I load it via netload with a lisp routine, the other is the development code loaded with another lisp routine.  That way I can load either the main code or debug code depending on whether I'm doing production work or programming.

-Mark

Message 5 of 5
aksaks
in reply to: MarkPendergraft

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost