.NET

mikefr
Message 1 of 7 (329 Views)

Inspector (arx) cool features

329 Views, 6 Replies
03-11-2012 12:28 PM

Hello all,

I have been using the arx application "inspector.arx" and i noticed some cool features this app has:

1. Inspector doesn't steal focus from autocad when the refresh button is clicked. Generally inspector doesn't steal focus.

2. Inspector can be docked like a palette

3. Autocad is always active when the mouse leaves the inspector form.

Is it possible to create an app with .net with similar features? Imagine a form with buttons, labels, listviews... etc.
Can anyone provide some tips or guidance to achieve that?

Thanks a lot!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 7 (326 Views)

Re: Inspector (arx) cool features

03-11-2012 01:09 PM in reply to: mikefr

Hi,

>> Is it possible to create an app with .net with similar features? Imagine a form

That's imho the difference, you are speaking from a Windows-Form-object, but not from a palette-/paletteset-object. Make custom controls instead of Windows-Forms and place these on PaletteSet-objects. Makes all much easier, not just focus.

>>>here<<< is a sample done by Kean Walmsley.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
mikefr
Message 3 of 7 (316 Views)

03-11-2012 02:38 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred, I follow Kean's blog. He's done great job. I also tried palette but had problem with comboboxes. I use API version 17.2. Also when using a palette, you have to use custom controls to make them not stealing focus:

Public Class myButton
    Inherits Windows.Forms.Button

Public Sub New()
        MyBase.New()
        SetStyle(Windows.Forms.ControlStyles.Selectable, False)
    End Sub

End Class

I even tried using  the  ToolStripDropDown class. What i want is a smooth back n forth from a modeless form to autocad application. Creating your own commands is cool but you can't remember 100 commands... Instead you can create a form with buttons, settings and stuff.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 7 (311 Views)

03-11-2012 02:52 PM in reply to: mikefr

Hi,

>> Kean's blog. He's done great job

Yes!

>> but had problem with comboboxes

Correct, but I thought this workaround was not necessary since working base on Framework 3.5. But I'm not sure about this at the moment.

>> What i want is a smooth back n forth from a modeless form to autocad application.

>> Creating your own commands is cool but you can't remember 100 commands.

Forms will ever be a bit more work to sync the focus, the mouse/cursor, the visible or hidden (or minimized) mode with the AutoCAD-application window.

What I don't understand is the "100 commands" message? You can also place buttons on your usercontrol (on your palette) and that can start everything without needing any commands defined.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
mikefr
Message 5 of 7 (308 Views)

03-11-2012 03:25 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I just want to mention that a UI is the best solution when you create lots of commands. Something i noticed in inspector is that when it is clicked autocad doen't lose focus. Inspector looks like a form. I hope for some guidance to create a form with similar features. By the way is there any workaround for the combobox glitch?

Active Contributor
HomeBoyLV
Message 6 of 7 (294 Views)

03-11-2012 07:14 PM in reply to: mikefr

Trap the MouseEnter/MouseLeave events of your pallet and set the KeepFocus property. Always worked for me.

HomeBoy Out

mikefr
Message 7 of 7 (281 Views)

03-12-2012 03:07 AM in reply to: HomeBoyLV

Hi Homeboy, I have tried KeepFocus but no trapping the events. Do you mean creating a new class that inherits paletteset and overriding these two events?  When the events fire i change the KeepFocus propertie?

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.