Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a DWG file inside Visual Studio with Visual Basic .NET

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2747 Views, 4 Replies

Importing a DWG file inside Visual Studio with Visual Basic .NET

Hello, anybody knows what I should have to do to import a DWG file in Visual Studio? I will need to move it, rotate it and make zoom in and out and set points and areas. It's possible?

Thanks very much

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
StephenPreston
in reply to: Anonymous

Sorry Vinsent, but your question isn't clear to me. Do you mean you want to insert the contents of one DWG file into another one? If so, take a look at the Database.Insert() method. Here's a blog post on a slightly different topic that uses the Insert() function.

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/autocad/2012/05/redefining-a-block.html

If that doesn't answer your question, then please would you explain in more detail what you need.

BTW If you're new to the AutoCAD .NET API, make sure you check the learning resources available on www.autodesk.com/developautocad.

Cheers,

Stephen Preston
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: StephenPreston

Hello Stephen, thanks for your answer, but in your link, I can draw some blocks above a dwg file, but I want to do it in Visual Studio, not in Autocad

My question was no good, so I'm going to explain it better...

I need to import a file/image DWG into a form in Visual Studio. So I want to take the DWG file, rotate it, zoom in and out, and possibily to draw some points and areas inside Visual Studio, not in Autocad. It is possible? How can I do this?

Will I need some libraries of Autocad for using in VS? Which ones?

Thanks for your answer

Message 4 of 5
DouceDeux

You need to use the ObjectARX (Unmanaged) to create an ACAD object for the dwg outside of Autocad. The exposed methods and properties have limited documentation but it comes with the full reference. Someone complete this information or correct me if I'm wrong.
Message 5 of 5
StephenPreston

It sounds like you want to write a standalone application that allows viewing and editing of an AutoCAD DWG that can run without AutoCAD being installed on the same computer. If so, then Autodesk don't currently provide a technology that would be a solution for you. If you just want to view the DWG geometry, then you might look at plotting the DWG to DWF format and looking at Autodesk Design Review (www.autodesk.com/developdwf) or Project Freewheel (http://freewheel.autodesk.com/).

Cheers,

Stephen Preston
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost