.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program plug-ins with dynamic, continual effects?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ltmullen
572 Views, 3 Replies

How to program plug-ins with dynamic, continual effects?

I've got a few months' experience tinkering with .NET programming for AutoCAD under my belt, and I feel like I have a decent understanding of how to do various basic one-time operations in the drawing space...

But now I find myself wanting to create things that are dynamic and self-updating...say, for example, a "custom" version of a GEOMCONSTRAINT operation or something that draws custom entities based on the properties of a Civil 3D object and then erases and redraws these entities whenever the Civil 3D objects are changed.

I'm kind of at a loss as to where I should start...I know that for performing one-time operations, transactions are the "vehicles" that get the job done...what is the "vehicle" I'm looking for here? (I'm hoping that what I'm describing is indeed possible?)

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
BlackBox_
in reply to: ltmullen

Methinks you're after event handlers... The ability to 'hook' an ObjectModified event, evaluate what has been modified, and if the target Object type, or instance (your AECC* Object), then perform additional action(s) on another Object (your custom Object).

There are some specific rules to follow, generally speaking, but linking one Object to one degree or another, is not necessarily uncommon... I will say though, a great deal more information is needed to help with your specific topic.

Cheers

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 3 of 4
ltmullen
in reply to: BlackBox_

Aha...I thought it might have to do with that...going back and reading the developer's guide confirms this.

Guess I should have looked a little harder.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
BlackBox_
in reply to: ltmullen

No worries; we all start somewhere.

Cheers

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost