.NET

Contributor
tracer123
Message 11 of 17 (157 Views)

Re: How Do I Reverse The Effect Of AutoCadBlockReference.Visible In AutoCAD?

03-16-2013 11:08 AM in reply to: DiningPhilosopher

DiningPhilosopher wrote:

AutoCAD doesn't provide any way to set the Visibility property of an Entity to false, so why are you expecting it to provide a way to do the opposite?

I don't know if this statement is true. Not only that, but just because the code labels it 'Visibility' doesn't mean it will be called that in AutoCAD. Can you please provide some type of source so that I know this is a true statement?

DiningPhilosopher wrote:

If you set the Visibility property through code, then it should only be reversable by your code, otherwise, the user can break an application that relies on them not being able to change something the application does not want them to change directly.

By that logic, if I change a block name from code, no one should be able to change that block name in AutoCAD. They could 'break' an application that depends on a block with a specific name being there.

Alexander.Rivilis
Message 12 of 17 (148 Views)

03-16-2013 01:49 PM in reply to: tracer123

There is no instruments in "pure" AutoCAD (i.e. without any additional lisp/vba/arx/.net applications) to set visibility of entity to On or Off. IMHO all the other conversations on this topic does not make sense. What is the question?

Пожалуйста не забывайте про Утвердить в качестве решения! Утвердить в качестве решения и Give Kudos!Баллы
Please remember to Accept Solution! Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Kudos

Valued Mentor
DiningPhilosopher
Message 13 of 17 (135 Views)

03-16-2013 11:17 PM in reply to: tracer123

Sorry, what you are suggesting makes no sense.

There are countless things that can be done via the API that cannot be done directly by a user with the standard out-of-the box software. The API goes way beyond what is generally regarded as 'UI Automation', which means automating things that can be done with the UI, and which simple folk simply call 'scripting'.

The ObjectARX API is not merely for scripting.

Regarding your request, you're the one making a presumption that is incorrect. If you can show a case where Visibility is used directly on objects (verses indirectly via functions like Dynamic Block Visibility states), the ball is in your court.

Valued Mentor
DiningPhilosopher
Message 14 of 17 (131 Views)

03-17-2013 01:28 AM in reply to: tracer123

tracer123 wrote:

By that logic, if I change a block name from code, no one should be able to change that block name in AutoCAD. They could 'break' an application that depends on a block with a specific name being there.

Anonymous blocks exist to solve that very problem.  

Applications can create and use them without having to worry about them being renamed by the user.

Assuming you know what an anonymous block is, can you find a way to rename one ?

Contributor
tracer123
Message 15 of 17 (124 Views)

03-17-2013 02:01 AM in reply to: DiningPhilosopher

DiningPhilosopher, your pretentious attitude is insulting. I've no intention of furthering a conversation with you by answering your off-topic questions.

This topic has digressed; for anyone else, the answer is that you can't, case closed.

Valued Mentor
DiningPhilosopher
Message 16 of 17 (89 Views)

03-18-2013 09:34 PM in reply to: tracer123

tracer123 wrote:

I've no intention of furthering a conversation with you by answering your off-topic questions.

There's nothing off-topic about my question. 

Perhaps you are confusing your own unfamiliarity with AutoCAD and its APIs with what you misperceive as being 'off-topic'.  If you were at all familiar with AutoCAD you wouldn't have had to ask this group to explain to you, the difference between an Attribute and an AttributeReference.

Name-calling isn't the best way to go about acknowledging fault or that your presumptions are entirely wrong, but if that's your cup of tea, then by all means, go for it. .

Valued Mentor
jeff
Message 17 of 17 (77 Views)

03-18-2013 11:00 PM in reply to: tracer123

tracer123 wrote:

DiningPhilosopher wrote:

AutoCAD doesn't provide any way to set the Visibility property of an Entity to false, so why are you expecting it to provide a way to do the opposite?

I don't know if this statement is true. Not only that, but just because the code labels it 'Visibility' doesn't mean it will be called that in AutoCAD. Can you please provide some type of source so that I know this is a true statement?

Hi,

You can look at message 10 here

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!