Did you mean: 

Help .NET and Autocad

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jobro888us
644 Views, 9 Replies

Help .NET and Autocad

Hello,

I am doing my graduation project at the High School for informationtechnology and yes I was "stupid" enough to choose a project about developing software for Autocad using C# in the .NET environment. I am experienced in VBA programming...so I thought it the .NET AutoCAD system was no problem.
And it is no problem if it was well documented like VBA is documented. this means there are a lot of books and other stuf about VBA.

But if I look at AutoCAD and .NET iIhave only found this website, the website "through the interface" (thats a good one) and some tutorials in the ObjectARX files and thats it.

In my opinion the methods/functions are not transparant enough to use these without documentation. Maybe some people from Autodesk read this...and they can do something about in the future.

Question
Can any body help me with some links or documentation of .NET? Maybe some books about .NET C# AutoCAD?

thanks

Jobro
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ethomson
in reply to: jobro888us

The classes in the .NET Labs on the website are quite good for getting you started
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1911627
(the AutoCAD 2007.Net Training.zip file)

There are also 3 articles on Cadalyst by Mike Tuersley that might help you get started that have examples in C# and VB.NET

There's a book that's aimed at VB.NET but no books that I know of for C#.

But I definitely agree there could be alot more Autocad documentation available, thats at least more semi-user friendly.

But there should be enough to get you started.
Message 3 of 10
jobro888us

Ok thanks I already looked throw this coures and yes you can learn lots about it for a good start. But I like to know more about the principles which are used by autodesk. What are the classes and objects and what methods and parameters they have and more important how they are working but I guess that's not posiible
Message 4 of 10
jobro888us

throw in the first line is through. Sorry I am dutch.
Message 5 of 10
ethomson

You've probably already looked but just in case you haven't there are also .NET examples in the ObjectArx SDK in the samples\dotnet\ folder that are fairly well documented there as well.
Message 6 of 10
sgp

have you discovered Kean Walmsley's Blog? - http://blogs.autodesk.com/through-the-interface.

Cheers,

Stephen Preston
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 7 of 10
jobro888us

Hi guys, thanks for al the support you give me enough input to start with my project. And yes Keans website "through the interface". is a very very good one. Thanks Kean and team.
Then about my graduation project.
My company builds electrical panels used to control Industrial production lines. For example production lines for building cars. My goal is to make a system in AutoCAD .NET to add article info to AutoCAD blocks from componenets which are mounted at the control panels.
A drawing in our company consist mainly out of 3 parts: Electrical scheme's, materiallist and panelview.
If you do a good job engineering the electrical scheme's it should be possible to generate the materiallists and panelview's and even generate orderlists.
I want to do this as follows.
We have an ERP-program in our company which uses a large database with article info. The fields from a record in this database are...Price info...article number, description, supplyer info etc. But none specific article info like size from the components, factoryname and types(specific engeering info). The ERP-program is build with FoxPro.
So at first I start with developing a windowsServer 2005 database. WindowsServer 2005 is lots faster then foxpro and foxpro isn't updated any more by Microsoft. In this database I copy the article-records from the ERP-database. Then it must be possible to add specific CAD-fields(like length, width and height, factoryname and type) from an article. Therefor I have to create a GUI in which a user can insert and update articles.. This is a none AutoCAD program and for this I use .NET 2005 and SQL-Server 2005.

If the database is ready I make an AutoCAD .NET C# application to add the info from the database to the blocks in the drawing. I want to do this with XRecords. I also want to create a dictionary in the NOD from AutoCAD in this dictionary I put data witch has a relatiion with the drawing in general. Like projectnumber and name.
As the this is done I want to make a GUI in which te user can select all the CAD-info from the block and then it must be possible to create a panellayout in AutoCAD a Materialllist exported to Excell and an orderlist ASCII for the ERP program to order the articles wich are neccesary fo build the panels.

I have already tested a lot of functions in AutoCAD and the connections with the databases thats work fine. But it is still a little exciting because like you programmers no you can never test everything and things always go wrong when and where you don't have expected this and there is a lot of time pressure at my graduation project.

Support and opinons are welcome.

Jobro
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I hope you get paid for this.
This sounds to me like a very complex and time consuming project.
Normally your company would have to pay 80 to 100 euro's an hour for a job
like this (or maybe even more).

:)
Henk
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

// is a lot of time pressure at my graduation project.

//Support and opinons are welcome.

//Jobro

Wow, it is a lot of stuff, you want to do, is this something for a Thesis?
if so, it is interesting to know that your school/university/faculty accept
a project done for a particular/private company - I remember when I did
mine, it was a project for the community.

Good Luck!
Message 10 of 10
jobro888us

Yes, its for my title bachelor degree in ICT and I have to write an end report about how it is done. It is a lot of work, I have to spent 700 hours to the project. And about 100 for the endreport.
No from my study I had to arange my own graduation project at a company which one doesn't care. Off course the project has to be something about ICT. I get payed for this. about 3 euro an hour. It is not much but a company do not need to pay a student. I am programming about 5 years in VBA and like you know VBA has a lot of limitations. So .NET and AutoCAD is the next step.
It is very interesting and I learn a lot about it. And thats important for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost