.NET

Valued Contributor
Matt S
Message 1 of 2 (85 Views)

finding adjacent elements

85 Views, 1 Replies
01-05-2007 09:49 AM
Lets say I have two lines that are perpendicular, slthough one could be skewed, that are supposed to intersect each other. The point of intersection is what I want to find as this has meaning to my application.

If the lines don't intersect, as in the lines don't touch but are really close to touching, what is the best way to find all the elements near a line end point and then iterate over those to weed out the lines?

Can I build a selection set that would encompass all elements in a certain area around a line endpoint? If so, how do I do that?
Mentor
MarkPendergraft
Message 2 of 2 (85 Views)

Re: finding adjacent elements

01-08-2007 04:12 PM in reply to: Matt S
I'm not really sure what it is that you are trying to do.
Can you be more specific, maybe tell us what you intend for your program to do (the overall function of it)

Using the getclosestpointto method, you can find the perpendicular intersection of any point to a line, then using a little trig, you can determine the distance of the intersection and the endpoint of the line in question. which you can use to find out if they are touching or not.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.