Did you mean: 

FIBERWORLD=0 Debugging with VS2010

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
hgasty1001
2121 Views, 14 Replies

FIBERWORLD=0 Debugging with VS2010

Hi all,

As the result of comments in this post: http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2011/09/no-source-available-when-debu... ,I'm starting this thread in order to any one who got issues debugging and testing using FIBERWORLD=0  can post his findings,  troubles, and may be workarounds. The idea is that Autodesk AutoCAD developers get informed of our findings and so, perhaps, help them to speed up the migration from Fibers. 

Gaston Nunez

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
kob4lt
in reply to: hgasty1001

Can anyone explain what Fibers are and what kind of roll they have in Autocad?

Message 3 of 15
jeff
in reply to: kob4lt

Did you look at the Link in OP?

From there is link to a Previous Post with more information, which also contains this Link

Does that help?

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Message 4 of 15
hgasty1001

Hi,

Using FIBERWORLD=0 in AutoCAD 2012

1.- Block definition with attributes

Try making a block with attributes, use the option "Convert to Block" in the dialog... you end up with the new block plus the old geometry and attribute tag displayed (traslaped) on screen, this is not the normal behavior, the geometry and attribs should be erased. The same happens defining a block without attributes.

2.- Command line

Some times, not ever, the command lines get irresponsive, you can't type a command until something else happens , like clicking a menu item.

3.- Ribbon

It's known that the ribbon get useless with FIBERWORLD=0, but some contextual Ribbon tabs, like the Text Editor Mode seems to function.

Message 5 of 15

Not sure if this is to be blamed on AutoCAD and the Fibers issue, or just a bug in Visual Studio, but I have had some pretty strange behavior when trying to step through functions, usually using a breakpoint to stop the code at the place I am interested in.

In particular I have seen the code "stop" at my breakpoint, highlighting the next statement, but then without touching any F keys or clicking any of the step buttons, the code completes, but Visual Studio still has everything shown as if it is stopped.  At this point the step buttons and F keys don't do anything, and AutoCAD is unresponsive until you click the Play button, but the code has already run, and pushing the Play button does not cause the remaining code to run again.  It just seems to re-sync AutoCAD and the studio to both realize there is no active call stack, and AutoCAD is ready to accept commands.  Unless of course the code that got executed caused AutoCAD to crash, which was happening in some of the cases I'm talking about.

The worst part (or best part, depending on your point of view) is that it is not positively repeatable, meaning at the time, I could repeat the steps exactly, 5 times in a row, and have it fail in this manner 4 times and work correctly the fifth time.

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 6 of 15
matus.brlit

when starting AutoCAD 2012 for debugging with FIBERWORLD=0, using command function in LISP will stop the initialization

i had to remove all these lines from my LISPs that are executed at the startup

Message 7 of 15
Marco_Caprez

Hi,

I have no FIBREWORLD and no NEXTFIBREWORLD variable in my AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 German.

Am I missing something?

Cheers, Marco

Message 8 of 15

Hi,

>> I have no FIBREWORLD and no NEXTFIBREWORLD variable in my AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 German.

hast Du vielleicht nur die Worte falsch geschrieben? Versuch mal NEXTFIBERWORLD.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 15
Marco_Caprez

Uups, ich Dödel!

Dabei war ich so sicher dass ich es richtig geschrieben hatte. Liess mich zufest von fibreglass leiten. Habe aber auch nach *fib* und *nex* gesucht und nichts gefunden - klar bei internen Sysvars! Ah, ich könnt mich ...!

Correct spelling is the key to the treasure

Danke (für den Kick in den Hintern ;-))

Marco

Message 10 of 15
matus.brlit

so I just read about new features in ACAD2013 and i found this: .NET Framework 4 needs to be targeted in Visual Studio.

afaik that means, you have to use VS2010 and that means that we will encounter the problem with breakpoints again

is there any progress with the fibers?

Message 11 of 15

That was true for AutoCAD 2012 as well, which is why we started hitting this problem then.

To update my own comments, I have noticed a couple of strange things in AutoCAD, but because I essentially forgot all about this Fiberworld stuff, I never tested things with Fiberworld = 1, so I'll have to go back and do that to see if the strange things were related to fiberworld or not.

Dave O.                                                                  Sig-Logos32.png
Message 12 of 15

for 2012, you didn't have to use .NET 4.0, so you could use VS 2008 and avoid these problems, as i understand it, this won't be possible for 2013

Message 13 of 15

excerpt from DevNote:

Issue:

AutoCAD 2012 targets .NET Framework 4.0. This means you have to use VS2010 to debug your .NET application....

Solution:

Concerning compiling and running a .Net or mix-managed application for AutoCAD 2012, you can still use VS2008 SP1, but as it doesn't support .Net Framework 4.0, you won't be able to run your application under the debugger.

As far as I'm concerned that says that you have to use VS 2010 in order to debug a .NET addin for AutoCAD 2012.  This is not the only article that originally gave me that indication (a year ago), but it is the only one I was able to find today.

Message 14 of 15

I am using AutoCAD 2012, VS 2008 and happily debugging 🙂

I just had to edit acad.exe.config, if this will be possible with 2013, then everything is OK for me.

But the note that ".NET Framework 4 needs to be targeted in Visual Studio." indicates, that it's a change compared to 2012, because it was an article about news in 2013.

Message 15 of 15
cad.people

I am having major issues with this FIBERWORLD problem. I am running VS2010 with AutoCAD 2013 on a WIndows 7 64 bit machine targeting 64 bit user machines. These are several large drawing generator programs written in VB.NET, mostly native .NET with a little COM Interop here and there. (These programs worked fine in R2009.)

If I leave NEXTFIBERWORLD set at 1, then I get the error while debugging in VS at random points where it loses the source code.

If I set NEXTFIBERWORLD to 0 then the programs start to do crazy things like not activating a drawing that has just been opened or added, which causes the rest ofthe program to fail.

So, if I want the programs to run correctly in order to debug them, I can't debug them. Catch 22.

Still waiting on some ideas for how to proceed from Dev Help.

Image of the error message for the “No Source Available” while debugging attached.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost