Did you mean: 

Dynamic Blocks- Vanilla Geometry vs. Authored Geometery

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Bauron
484 Views, 8 Replies

Dynamic Blocks- Vanilla Geometry vs. Authored Geometery

Hello

Can someone please tell me how I can tell apart the Geometry first drawing in Model space for a block vs the geometry created by position in Dynamic Block?

I am trying to compare the initial geometery to other itmes in the drawing, and the authored geometry is making this challenging. 

Thanks

Ashish

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
norman.yuan
in reply to: Bauron

Never find me in the position at where you are to do, so just a thought here:

When a dynamic block is inserted as BlockRefernce and its dynamic property or properties being set to value(s) that results in an anonymous BlockTableRecord is created as the direct block definition for that BlockReference,

So, you can firstly find out a dynamic block reference's anonymous blocktablerecord. Now you just compare the geometries in the orginal BlockTableRecord and the anonymous BlockTableRecord.

Norman Yuan

Drive CAD With Code

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Bauron
in reply to: norman.yuan

Norman

Thanks for the response. 

I have not inserted the block into the drawing. 

I am talking about the block geometry when it is an independent file. 

Let us say your block was a square and an attribute. 

If you added a position or rotation state, then the block actually creates two additional squares for the two states. 

Now I am having to compare three objects in the block to the items in the file. 

Because we have several thousand users, blocks name change, and I try to identify dynamic blocks inside the file itself via its dynamic property names. 

Not sure if I was clear, or my additional statements here are of any help. 

And I apologize, but I did not understand your first sentence at all. 

Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 9
hgasty1001

Hi,

I'm not sure to understand but, if you alter the value of some dynamic properties, you just end up with just a new set of values for that properties of the same block reference, not a duplicate or multiple block references or geometry, may be just a comparison of the dynamic properties values will do the task.

Gaston Nunez

Message 5 of 9
Bauron
in reply to: hgasty1001

Gaston 

Thank you for the response. 

I am trying to compare the Geometry IN THE ORIGINAL BLOCK to items in the file. 

Let us call the block squareatt. 

It has one square and an attribute in it. 

I need find any items the same size in the file. 

If the size and attritbute text type matches within it, I will get the text value, erase the block and the value, and replace it with the block. 

But since the ORIGINAL BLOCK is dynamic, I am getting multiple squares in the block to compare against. 

I need to eliminate this. 

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
hgasty1001

Hi,

In order to understand, can you please post an example of both an original block and a drawing with modified  blocks?

Gaston Nunez

Message 7 of 9
Bauron

Let me see...

Message 8 of 9
Bauron

Perhaps attatched image will help

The older block is to the bottom

The newer one on top

The newer block has three visibility states in the dynamic block design

When I am trying to do the compare, all three geometries show up as valid and present elements in the block, so it does not find the match and replace function, despite the attribute tags matching and the arrow geometry matching, as it says the total number of elements do not match. 

Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Message 9 of 9
Bauron

I cannot post any drawings or parts of them due to IP 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost