.NET

Contributor
insiaiftiqhar
Message 1 of 4 (264 Views)

Casting DBobject to entity

264 Views, 3 Replies
11-20-2012 02:43 PM

this piece of code always gives "invalidcode exception". I tried both Ctype and DIrectCast.

Dim currentEntity As Entity = Nothing
                            Try
                                ' currentEntity = CType(myT.GetObject(id, OpenMode.ForRead), Entity)
                                currentEntity = DirectCast(myT.GetObject(id, OpenMode.ForRead), Entity)
                            Catch exp As OverflowException
                                Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument.Editor.WriteMessage("OverflowException")
                            Catch exp As InvalidCastException
                                Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument.Editor.WriteMessage("InvalidCastException")
                            End Try

Attached is the full function, I am trying to read all the " coincidence constraints" in a  drawing

Thanks in advance!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 4 (257 Views)

Re: Casting DBobject to entity

11-20-2012 03:09 PM in reply to: insiaiftiqhar

Hi,

Your loop scans through the BlockTable, so <id> represents the ObjectID for a BlockTableRecord. A BlockTableRecord is no entity (not derived from ...), so it can't be casted from DbObject to Entity.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Contributor
insiaiftiqhar
Message 3 of 4 (252 Views)

11-20-2012 03:25 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you for the response . How do I go about converting a blocktable reference to a block entity?  I need the entity to find its dependencies.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 4 (230 Views)

11-21-2012 12:11 AM in reply to: insiaiftiqhar

Hi,

>> How do I go about converting a blocktable reference to a block entity?

It's difficult, if we don't use the wordingbased on the API.

If you want to search for the blockdefinition (= BlockTableRecord) then you can use your loop through the BlockTable as you do and verify the ObjectID or the Name or whatever you need to find the correct block-definition,

If you want to search for block-insertions (= BlockReference) then you might

• use your <blocktablerecordobject>.GetBlockReferenceIDs to get all references in your drawing.
  • get the block-insertions could be to create a filtered selectionset (>>>click<<<).

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.