Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casting DBobject to entity

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
insiaiftiqhar
830 Views, 3 Replies

Casting DBobject to entity

this piece of code always gives "invalidcode exception". I tried both Ctype and DIrectCast.

Dim currentEntity As Entity = Nothing
                            Try
                                ' currentEntity = CType(myT.GetObject(id, OpenMode.ForRead), Entity)
                                currentEntity = DirectCast(myT.GetObject(id, OpenMode.ForRead), Entity)
                            Catch exp As OverflowException
                                Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument.Editor.WriteMessage("OverflowException")
                            Catch exp As InvalidCastException
                                Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument.Editor.WriteMessage("InvalidCastException")
                            End Try

Attached is the full function, I am trying to read all the " coincidence constraints" in a  drawing

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

Your loop scans through the BlockTable, so <id> represents the ObjectID for a BlockTableRecord. A BlockTableRecord is no entity (not derived from ...), so it can't be casted from DbObject to Entity.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the response . How do I go about converting a blocktable reference to a block entity?  I need the entity to find its dependencies.

Message 4 of 4

Hi,

>> How do I go about converting a blocktable reference to a block entity?

It's difficult, if we don't use the wordingbased on the API.

If you want to search for the blockdefinition (= BlockTableRecord) then you can use your loop through the BlockTable as you do and verify the ObjectID or the Name or whatever you need to find the correct block-definition,

If you want to search for block-insertions (= BlockReference) then you might

• use your <blocktablerecordobject>.GetBlockReferenceIDs to get all references in your drawing.
  • get the block-insertions could be to create a filtered selectionset (>>>click<<<).

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost