Did you mean: 

Can't debug anymore with VS2010 or VS2012 and Acad 2009

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
2970 Views, 6 Replies

Can't debug anymore with VS2010 or VS2012 and Acad 2009

Hello,

I have problems with debugging my .NET application which I use in Autocad Electrical 2009. Here is the problem:

1. A few weeks ago, I created a .dll file, written in C# in VS2010 (Visual Studio). Everything worked, also debugging (Debug options -> Start external program -> acad.exe).

2. Now, I want to add some code to this .dll file, so I opened the project in VS2012. I added the code and I want to debug. But, when I 'netload' my .dll file in autocad and type my command (defined in my code with 'CommandMethod'), Autocad says "Uknown command".

3. Then I tried another way. I started Autocad the 'normal' way (not from visual studio), netload my .dll file and typed the command and..: It works!!. After that, I attached my VS project to the acad.exe process, typed my command and.. Autocad froze. So, that isn't working either.

It looks like my .dll file is working, but not when I attach VS to Autocad or when I start Autocad through VS.

So, after that, I created a very small program in VS2010 (new project) which only shows a messagebox that says: "Hello Autocad". I started up Autocad the normal way, typed the method and it works. Debugging, not working. The same story when I create the same little program in VS2012.

I read about changing the "acad.exe.config", changing the debugger type and so on, but nothing helps. Can anyone tell me why I can't debug anymore and how to solve this problem?

Maybe the problem is already solved in this discussion by JamieVJohnson2, but what does he mean with the following:

"What I would do...  I would run ACAD normally, and then force load the dll manually (NETLOAD command).  If that is working ok, then I would check the registry entry to see if it is properly mapped for the CURRENT user.  Yep it can be different for every user.

If you didn't make it past the first idea, then possibly the dll, is trying to copy to source the acad dlls (bad mojo), and that causes the Netloading process to abort."

I hope someone can help me.

Kind regards

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
norman.yuan
in reply to: 110000474593

Which version of .NET framework your VS2012 project is set to target? For Acad2009, it must be .NET2.0/3.x.

I still have Acad2009 installed, along with Acad2012. I have no problem to create a simple "Hello AutoCAD" project in VS2012, targeting .NET 3.5 and do debugging run from VS2012, that is:

1. Press F5 in VS2012 to start external app (acad.exe);

2. Netload the DLL;

3. enter command;

4. Beak point set in VS2012 is hit;

5, Step through as needed.

So, make sure you target your VS2012 to correct .NET version (2.0/3.x, no 4.x!); and also make sure "Copy Local" to false with the references acad assemblies

Message 3 of 7

6. Directory bin\Debug must not contain files acmgd.dll acdbmgd.dll accoremgd.dll 

If it contain those files - delete them.

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 4 of 7
in reply to: norman.yuan

The project is set to framework 3.5. It's so weird, everything worked a few weeks ago and now it doesn't work anymore and I changed nothing as far as I know.

"Copy local" was set to "true" for every acad assembly and as I said, a few weeks ago with VS2010 it worked. (AcDbMgd, AcMgd and the interop and interop.common references). Now I've changed it back to "false" and acad recognized my command, but my breakpoints won't hit. So it doesn't work completely yet.

I thought the AcDbMgd and AcMgd references must be copied to local? I've seen that in a video of Acad where they explain how to convert a VB program to a C# .dll.

Message 5 of 7

Update: Debugging is working with VS2010

Message 6 of 7

@110000474593 wrote:

I thought the AcDbMgd and AcMgd references must be copied to local?

No!!! Copy Local == False is an indispensable condition of normal operation and debugging.

Відповідь корисна? Клікніть на "ВПОДОБАЙКУ" цім повідомленням! | Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Находите сообщения полезными? Поставьте "НРАВИТСЯ" этим сообщениям!
На ваше запитання відповіли? Натисніть кнопку "ПРИЙНЯТИ РІШЕННЯ" | Have your question been answered successfully? Click "ACCEPT SOLUTION" button.
На ваш вопрос успешно ответили? Нажмите кнопку "УТВЕРДИТЬ РЕШЕНИЕ"

Alexander Rivilis / Александр Ривилис / Олександр Рівіліс
Programmer & Teacher & Helper / Программист - Учитель - Помощник / Програміст - вчитель - помічник
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
Expert Elite Member

Message 7 of 7
DouceDeux

I would say first, create a brand new solution and a project of the same type you're having problems with debug.

Now try with some basic code and see if breakpoints will be hit with that new solution or other solutions you may have. If breakpoints are not hit then it's probably debugging option that is messing with you.

I had this problem and while trying to fix it I rendered my dev computer useless bc it didnt have any other framework but 4.0 and it wouldn't let you install 3.5 or below because the OS would say it's already installed. Weird stuff!

Edit: About your last question in the firest post, it might have to do with plugin keys at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R18.0\ACAD-8001:409\Applications

which is where your plugins should be registered, but if you haven't done it manually, it shouldn't even be registered there for load, automatic or otherwise. Not sure what he meant either.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost