.NET
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Civil3d code inside simple autocad.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hassanhafeez33
430 Views, 3 Replies

Calling Civil3d code inside simple autocad.

Hi there.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it practical and possible to use civil3d api classes such as tinsurface etc in simple autocad by referencing aecdbmgd.dll if the objects are not appended to a database? That is, just for doing calculations etc?

2. Would it be legal?

It might sound like a silly question, kindly take it easy wih me 🙂 thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
fieldguy
in reply to: hassanhafeez33

I can't speak directly to civil3d but creating autocad objects for "internal" purposes happens often.  For example, I create lines between 2d points just to get the angle, length, midpoint, etc.  Just remember to dispose any autocad objects you create.

Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: hassanhafeez33

Since it would need to be loaded to be used, and needs a license to be loaded, and you have zero idea what kind of interdependancies are going to rear their ugly heads... just use Civil3D.  Alternatively, you can code a simplified version using specifically what you need without being constrained by the Civil3D data types and work processes.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4

1. Fieldguy, i am familiar with what youre talking about. And i do similar stuff. However,
2. Dgorsman, i am aware of the implications. But theres a limit to what i can mimic with my code. I have created several algorithms to do calculations for a tinsurface. Triangulation and all that. But i cant seem to get everything right. I have also tried kean's blog example by triangulating a polyface mesh and using exploded 3d faces. My point is, the way i can reference acad entities in other applications, is it possible to do something similar for tinsurface object from civil3d?
3. Using civil 3d nullifies my aim for writing a program for tinaurface calcs. Considering civil3d products fees and the ease with which i can work inside civil3d. I hope you know what i mean.
4. Theres a computational geometry library cgal. But my c++ is very rusty and i cant even seem to be able to compile it. Kindly take a look if you can.

Thanks a lot for your time though. Id appreciate any ideas.
Regards,
hassan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost